Saturday 13 June 2020

Common Is Beautiful

With some sunny weather forecast for today, I was out of the house early at 4:45am where a few minutes later I pulled up at Nethergong for a walk around. I had intended to do my normal walk around the site looking for birds and then as the temperatures warmed up, spend some time looking for dragonflies but I ended up spending nearly 3 hours at the pond. There was so much to be seen with Common Darters emerging everywhere and despite finding many already emerging, I wanted to find one that was about to emerge for some photos but couldn't on this occasion. It was however brilliant to sit and watch many emerging together and I did take the odd shot which I couldn't resist. Next to the pond the owners have left the grass this year to grow up and this provides a magnet to newly emerged dragonflies and damselflies and with plenty of dew around this morning, I set about trying to find any likely candidates for a photo or two. I soon found many Blue tailed, Azure and the odd Variable Damselfly at rest along with 4 Emerald Damselfly but it was a quite dewy Common Darter perched up which got my attention for some photos. This is such a fantastic time of the day to observe them when they are at rest and the light can be superb too.
 
 


Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) - immature male
 
With a few photos taken I soon captured a Blue tailed Damselfly at rest before moving on around the pond. Many Common Darter exuviae were seen along with either Four spotted or Black tailed Skimmer exuviae which I collected and brought home to check out in the next few days. As the temperature warmed up 3 Emperor Dragonfly appeared at the pond along with 1 Hairy Dragonfly, 1 Black tailed Skimmer and 1 Broad bodied Chaser which posed nicely as they sometimes do for photos, to which I obliged.
 
 
 
 
Broad bodied Chaser (Libellula depressa) - female
 
I must have only walked a few metres in the 3 hours at the pond but it just goes to show, if you have a good look around and wait, they is often something to be found and seen.
 
 Blue tailed Damselfly (Ischnura elegans)
 
Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) - newly emerged female


7 comments:

  1. Marvellous set of photo's Marc puts my i/r foxes to shame. Stay safe. Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Mike. We all tell our stories in different ways, at the moment you are doing that through you i-r cameras which works really well and captures nice images. Take care.

      Delete
  2. I do love the Blue tailed Damselfly, fantastic Marc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty awesome aren't they. Very few people probably look at them close up and realise the colours on detail on them.

      Delete
  3. That first Common Darter is very special Marc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've made the 'ordinary' Common Darter look fabulous with those images, Marc, but it's the Broad-bodied Chaser images that are the real stars for me! The clarity and light are just perfect.

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. No matter what the species, when you get the light just right with a nice background, they often look at their best. Take care.

      Delete