Friday 10 April 2020

Delightful Damselflies

With pretty much beautiful sunny warm weather for much of the week, it's been no real surprise that a few Large Red Damselfly have started to emerge throughout the country in small numbers. No doubt plenty of others have emerged but in these times of isolation at home, many areas simply are not getting checked as they normally would have. I have been able to spend plenty of time at the pond this week and have had 8 Large Red Damselfly emerge which is encouraging. This has given me a few sessions photographing them around the Grape Hyacinths as they soak up the sun which also provides a superb backdrop to the photos. It was also encouraging to see a Hairy Dragonfly nymph again last night after dark which seems to be moving up into the shallows in preparation to emerge soon. I've put a few stems in pots for them to emerge and really hope I can photograph one emerging in due coarse. I shall be out every night from now on checking the progress of this individual prior to emerging. Hopefully the weather will continue to be good and I can continue enjoying the delights that the garden and pond have to currently offer.
 





Large Red Damselfly (Pyrrhosoma nymphula) - male


11 comments:

  1. Marc,
    You have to be grateful for these small mercies. I've got my hedgehogs, you've gotten these delightful insects. We have to be supportive of those who have nothing inside their tower blocks or apartments! Great photos, as always!
    Keep safe and stay positive - Dyl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Dyl. I realise at the times I lucky I am to have garden to sit in and take photos. I just hope those without are able to get their daily exercise and nature tonic for the day. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Many thanks Agnieszka for your kind words. They really do make for some nice photos with the Purple background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Large Red Damselfly was amazing, I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. This weather the past week has been pretty good for them. Hopefully a few more species will appear soon.

      Delete
  4. Hi Marc, Once again superb photography. Stay safe, Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you Mike. Thank you indeed for the nice words. Hope you are keeping well.

      Delete
  5. Absolutely stunning photography, Marc. I've got plenty of Grape Hyacinth, but am having to content myself with the occasional butterfly or Bee Fly on them.

    Stay safe - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. They do make for some superb backdrops to the photos. I'm just lucky to have them in the pond. Got my eyes on that Hairy Dragonfly nymph now. Think I've found where it resting and hopefully I can photograph it emerging.

      Delete
  6. Those are absolutely beautiful photographs Marc and I love the close up of the wing with the light reflecting on it. The Large Red Damselfly looks just stunning against the Grape Hyacinths. Thank you, because, as always I have really enjoyed looking at them. Take care, Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you Chris and I hope you are fairing well in these trying times. I think they're some of my favourite images. They really do show off well against the lovely background. Take care.

      Delete