Wednesday 13 November 2019

The Final Countdown

With the temperatures now dropping quite significantly in the past week and added frequent rain, it was quite surprising that last weekend, the weather gods aligned and there was an afternoon of lovely sunshine, light winds but the temperature around 8 degrees celsius. Whilst I half expected to see the odd Common Darter, I was hoping to locate a late Willow Emerald Damselfly. My latest for this species being the 12th November. I spent a lovely 3 hours walking a number of times round the site at Nethergong. I must have stood and scrutinised every hotspot for a Willow Emerald Damselfly but I simply couldn't find one. Common Darters were quite numerous with 28 seen which gave me the perfect opportunity to get the camera out and take probably my last photos of the year. After what seemed like hours, I finally made one last circuit and checked the trees again overhanging the water and there he was, a single male Willow Emerald Damselfly making the most of the sunshine. I simply put the camera and rucksack down and just watched. It's been another superb year for me studying this species at this site and I wanted to make the most of this moment. It's going to feel like a long time until I see them next year. It made my day seeing the Willow Emerald Damselfly and on the way out, I managed a few more photos of the Common Darters as they posed in the sunshine. Weather permitting, which doesn't look too good for the weekend, I may have another look just in case a Common Darter is lurking out there. Otherwise, a few winter dipping sessions with the net and hopefully a few tank sessions photographing the nymphs I encounter.
 

 



Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) - male
 


11 comments:

  1. Beautiful Common Darter images Marc. It sounds like it last time this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. I think this cold weather will probably finish them off.

      Delete
  2. So pleased you saw your 'last' WED Marc. Roll on summer 2020 I hear you call. Meanwhile, enjoy your net dipping and tank photography sessions.

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed. Next season can't come quick enough. Hoping the local birding is going to be good throughout the winter here. That would be good.

      Delete
  3. Great to see you were still finding the Darters, Marc, and the bonus of the WE Damselfly too! I'm sure that we've had too much rain and frost to get anything more up here this year. Looking forward to next season with eager anticipation, and two dragon breaks already booked for 2020!

    Hoping the birding is productive enough to keep you busy when not dipping for nymphs. Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, I think the weather this week may have finished them off... but I may try if the weather allows. We will have to try to meet up next year for a session somewhere.

      Delete
    2. Would love to meet up next year, Marc. We'll discuss it a little nearer the time!

      Delete
  4. You have a magic touch when it comes to dragonflies Marc, perhaps you could now apply it to the birds and encourage them to appear. Nice shots as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the images of the Common Darters on the tree trunks...… something I love to see when out n about, my fave pose for them. Thank you for your fine, fine images through the year. Some memorable images. You love & enthusiasm shines through. That's why they are as good as they are. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No doubt the season is nearly at an end. There are still the odd ones out there though, we had a late Southern Hawker last Wednesday along with a few Common darter.
    Looking forward to Large Red Damsels already!!!

    ReplyDelete