Saturday 14 September 2019

Autumn Delivery

It's been a few weeks since I have really managed to get out now I have returned back to work after the summer holidays, so with some nice warm weather forecast for this morning, I made a visit to Nethergong for a couple of hours to see what could be found. In a nice steady walk around from 10am, I managed to see c60 Willow Emerald Damselfly, most seen in tandem either flying along the stream and also a few pairs seen ovipositing. There were a good few areas I didn't even check so I suspect many others could have been found if I had stayed later. Also seen were c20 Migrant Hawkers which provided the mornings entertainment with the camera trying for a few in flight photos. After watching a few likely individuals hovering nicely along the stream, I spent some time sitting down and waited for them to pass by. It was just nice and relaxing watching them and a bonus that a few photos turned out quite nicely. If starting dragonfly flight shots, this is the species I would give the time to as they often pause to hover and provide some excellent entertainment. 1 Emerald Damselfly was also noted along with c70 Common Darter which seemed to be everywhere. Nice to be back out again after a few weeks absence enjoying the autumn odonata.
 






Migrant Hawker (Aeshna mixta) - male


10 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful, I love the way it moves in the air. Great photos Marc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. Can be frustrating at times but always worthwhile when the odd shot comes out.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful stuff Marc. If only there were creatures like that on my patch I would be in my glory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Mike. Do you not have any Migrant Hawkers at all where you live or any ponds, lakes etc. Must be the odd bit of habitat to look over.

      Delete
  3. Delighted to see you've been out again, Marc - and with fabulous results too! Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. Nice to be out again enjoying the late summer sunshine.

      Delete
  4. Stunning photos Marc.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always amazed when you post,every images looks perfect,always a pleasure to see.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks John for your kind words. Much appreciated.

      Delete