Saturday 4 May 2019

Red eyed Damselfly (Erythromma najas) Emerging

It's always quite exciting to study and photograph a species emerging that I have not seen before so with this in mind, I have spent a few sessions at Nethergong recently with the net trying to locate the Red eyed Damselfly nymph. As well as trying to photograph this species emerging, this is a species of which I have no exuviae yet for my collection. After a few blank sessions dipping in the stream where they appear in small numbers, I finally managed to net one a week ago and brought it back home and introduced it to a section of my garden pond where I could hopefully keep an eye on it. I already had a few stems for it to choose and it wasn't long until I could see it one morning clinging to the stem just above the water surface. With all the equipment ready to hand, I let the nymph settle down before I moved in and set up the camera. I have photographed a number of species emerging and this was one of the quickest emergences I have witnessed. I don't know if this is normal for this species but when it decided to start emerging, it went at some speed. Even the speed of the wings pumping up was as quick as I have seen on any species photographed so far. With my photos in the bag, I let the damselfly rest and colour up before I returned it back to Nethergong and the stream where I found the nymph. The added bonus was that I was also able to collect the exuviae for the collection. Today, I spent a while at Westbere Lakes where I was able to find a few species to photograph in the ever changing weather which I shall hopefully post in a few days. From quiet times, I now suspect we are in for a very busy few months.
 










Red eyed Damselfly (Erythromma najas) - female emerging
 


8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. Nice to be able to add the exuviae to my growing collection.

      Delete
  2. The season is moving on so quickly!! Another great sequence Marc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. Yes indeed. It all comes at once and I find it hard to cram it all in especially when I Have to work in the week. You just pray for good weather at the weekends.

      Delete
  3. As usual Marc, wonderful stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Mike. Always nice to see something new. Hopefully a few more encounters throughout the year.

      Delete
  4. A brilliant sequence, Marc, and the documentation is well up to your usual excellent standard!

    The weather here has not been good, with very cold nights, and plenty of rain and cloud. Was out 6 days ago and found only one Large Red, but also one exuvia with the rear end missing. However, four days ago I saw nothing! At least today the temp is up to 9°, but there's a wind-chill factor making it feel somewhat cooler. Hopefully will pick up soon.

    My very best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. How typical that the bank holiday weather has been pretty poor. Although we've had sun down here, it remains cold and windy with bouts of rain and hail. Hopefully the weather will improve for next weekend.

      Delete