Tuesday 7 May 2019

Downy Emerald (Cordulia aenea) Emerging

With the Bank Holiday Monday weather looking quite good early on in the day and light winds, I made the hasty decision to make the 90 minute drive to Thursley Common in Surrey. Leaving Kent at 4am in the dark, I arrived just after 5:30am to an almost empty car park. A quick drink and bite to eat and after getting all the gear ready, I set off for a walk around the Moat Lake near the car park. A visit here last year was rewarded with good views of emerging Downy Emeralds and a chance to get my hands on my first exuviae of this species. I was soon checking the emergent vegetation and with the sun now shining, I was quite optimistic that I would find something. In a favoured area, it took me a while to find the first of 9 Downy Emerald exuviae but I couldn't find any adults at first. I continued on checking likely areas until at last, I caught sight of a teneral Downy Emerald flying up from the vegetation towards the trees. Fortunately for me, it landed on some Heather in the sunshine and I was able to spend some time taking a number of photos which I shall post in due coarse. With the weather slowly warming up, it soon flew higher into the trees to mature up. I continued searching finding just one more Downy Emerald which I grabbed a few photos of before taking a break to drink and eat. I suspect my visit was a week too early to see better numbers emerging but I wasn't going to be beaten. I carried on walking around the lake checking areas when all of a sudden, my luck changed. I was checking a clump of grass when I noticed a Downy Emerald nymph looking like it was about to emerge. This was a great relief and for once, this was in an area that I could get into a good position to take photos. The bad news was that it was near a path where often the dogs run into the water. This was too good a chance to miss so I settled in on my belly and waited... and waited. A few passers by walked by and many asked if I was alright. It must of looked like I had fainted face down but I was able to reassure them wit a number stopping by to have a look at my prize about to emerge. Other than having to intercept a few dogs running past me into the water, I had a lovely relaxing time and after what seemed an age, I could see the Downy Emerald starting to emerge. The clouds were starting to build now and during the next 90 minutes, I found myself photographing in lovely sunshine and then cloudy conditions. A tricky problem with the settings being continually changed but eventually, I ended with some superb views and a few pleasing shots for my effort... and a sore back and neck. Walkers continued to walk by with a few stopping to look at the dragonfly emerging and they all seemed very impressed with what they saw. With the emergence successful and time now running out as I needed to leave at 11am to return back home, I packed up and walked very happily back to the car. Although not the numbers I wanted to see on this visit, I was really pleased to see a couple of teneral Downy Emeralds and get a few photos and also capture a full emergence of this species. Hopefully all being well and weather permitting, I will return again soon to hopefully look for the nationally scarce Brilliant Emerald emerging.
 











Downy Emerald (Cordulia aenea) Emerging


10 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning of the Downy Emerald, perfect Marc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. A most memorable experience to see and photograph this. Pleased with the results too.

      Delete
  2. Great to see Marc. A well worth visit despite the early start!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. Yes A bit tired later in the day but looking back at it, well worth it for these rewards.

      Delete
  3. like in the film, we see from nothing to emerging.... perfect....
    Have a wonderful sunny day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Tanza. Superb just to witness but will be nice to look back over through the year.

      Delete
  4. A fabulous sequence, Marc, and one that I'd love to witness in person. I'm currently booked to visit Thursley early in July (hopefully good timing for the Brilliant Emeralds) and then on to the New Forest for a couple of nights to look for dragons there.

    Looks like the weather might be OK next Sunday?! Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. Hopefully I will be back in early June to look for emerging Brilliant Emeralds. I saw them on the 2nd June last year.

      Delete
  5. extraordinary ..., a long time struggle on the lake Moad...,
    finally able to meet and document the photos of dragonflies very beautiful in color.

    Keep the spirit alive, friend

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had never heard of a false emerald !!
    Now I learn something new :-)
    Very special photos and very nicely displayed!

    ReplyDelete