Sunday 23 April 2017

Migrant Delivery at Reculver

With plenty of migrants seemingly around at the moment and a good number at Reculver, I decided to have an early walk this morning. I left home this morning at 5.30am where I drove around the lanes listening for any birds singing and ideally a Nightingale but despite stopping at various locations, there doesn't seem to have been any arrived here yet. As the light picked up, I drove over to the towers and parked up and in windless conditions with light cloud and occasional sunny spells, I walked down the seawall to Coldharbour where I then walked inland to check the bushes before walking back the way I had came. It was a fantastic morning to be out, plenty of birds singing and showing nicely and a few photo opportunities come my way. Having watched Reculver for a number of years, I have only ever seen Purple Sandpiper on a couple of occasions and my only shots consist of a distant bird at Minnis Bay. With 2 birds being seen of late on the rocks at Reculver, I hoped to see them and if possible, improve on my shots of this species which wouldn't be too hard. As I walked down the seawall I could see a group of Turnstone on the rocks and in with them were 2 Purple Sandpiper. At this early hour, the light was not good but I took a few shots of them and hoped they would still be there when I returned and a few hours later, they were indeed still there and with the sun out, I spent a while sitting nearby and taking a number of pleasing images of these scarce birds.



Purple Sandpiper

Other birds noted today included 2 Cuckoo, 5 Blackcap, 9 Whitethroat, 2 Green Woodpecker, 2 Kestrel, 7 Reed Warbler, 8 Stock Dove, 13 Whimbrel, c15 Linnet, 5 Reed Bunting, 2 Ringed Plover, 2 Little Egret, 18 Sedge Warbler, 4 Oystercatcher, 6 Shelduck, 3 Redshank, 1 Greenshank and 2 Shoveler. There were 7 Yellow Wagtail with a stunning male in song which allowed me to fire off a few shots.


Yellow Wagtail

Also seen were 14 Shoveler, 6 Mediterranean Gull, 5 Wheatear, 5 Skylark, 6 Common Scoter west,  c30 Sand Martin, 2 Lapwing, 2 Cetti's Warbler, 2 Chiffchaff, 9 Greylag Geese flew north, 1 Hobby flew through west at speed, 1 Common Buzzard, 9 Swallow, 1 Grey Heron, 2 Lesser Whitethroat and at Chambers Wall, 3 Ring Ouzel dropped out of the sky from a height and landed in the bushes. A superb morning, both from a bird point of view and the weather. Just what I needed. 

12 comments:

  1. Wow Beautiful images Marc,love the Yellow Wagtail,superb captures.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks John. Pleased to finally get the Purple Sandpiper shots but really pleased with the top Yellow Wagtail shot.

      Delete
  2. Your delightful images of the Purple Sandpiper, unlike most I see, clearly show where the 'purple' tag comes from. Excellent! Your Yellow Wagtail certainly knows where best to strike a pose! Perfect!

    Best wishes - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. Good to get out birding again. Plenty to see and photograph which is always a bonus.

      Delete
  3. Possibly some of the best shots of a Purp I've ever seen, and the Yellow wagtail are stunning.
    All the best Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Gordon for the visit and comment, much appreciated.

      Delete
  4. Boy am I pleased to see you out birding again Marc, and the list and photographic results of this first venture, WOW!....Now I really am excited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Pete. Was sure good to be out again. I forgot how good that dawn chorus sounds.

      Delete
  5. The Purple Sands look a bit better than on the pier, which is what we get!! Super set Marc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. Waited a good few years for this opportunity at Reculver. The wait was worth it though I think.

      Delete
  6. The Purple Sandpiper is gorgeous, I would love to get one, so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. Up close, those colours really come through well in good light.

      Delete