Sunday 25 October 2015

Plenty to See at Reculver

With the clocks going back last night and lighter mornings for a week or so, I made the most of it and was out of the house this morning at 5.45am where I decided early on to see if I could beat my 71 species I managed yesterday. I had a drive around the lanes in the dark and manged to see 1 Barn Owl near Brook and heard 1 Little Owl a while later at Shuart. I walked the same circuit as the past few days and in lovely sunshine for most of the session with light winds, I managed a creditable 73 species. I missed a few species I should have seen like Stock Dove, Feral Pigeon and if I had given it longer, i'm sure the sea would have provided a few more birds. Having said that, I saw a few bits of quality again and the following birds were noted: 4 Red legged Partridge, 6 Mute Swan, 1 Ring necked Parakeet, 2 Chiffchaff, 3 Brambling, 2 Great spotted Woodpecker, c40 Lapwing, 7 Green Woodpecker, 2 Grey Heron and 6 Stonechat. A look at the bushes near Shuart crossing provided 1 Dartford Warbler which showed well briefly before it continued its following of the local Stonechats. There were 4 Cetti's Warbler, 1 Grey Wagtail, 10 Long tailed Tit, 12 Swallow west, c30 Turnstone, c50 Oystercatcher, 9 Gadwall, 1 Sparrowhawk, 1 Rock Pipit, c45 Sanderling, 32 Ringed Plover, 10 Brent Geese, 5 Curlew, 4 Grey Plover, 4 Little Egret, 3 Redshank, 21 Golden Plover, 1 Kingfisher, 2 Little Grebe, 1 Blackcap, 1 Wheatear showed nicely on the beach and the session was nicely finished off with 1 Firecrest that showed briefly as I walked back to the car down Shuart Lane. A super morning to be out and about and nice to see a few good birds and get a few photos. Hopefully I will be able to get out early morning in the week a few times if i'm lucky.

Grey Plover 


Wheatear

Firecrest

6 comments:

  1. Like the pose on that first Wheatear Marc :-)
    The camera looks to have slightly over exposed that Firecrest, probably due to the dark background, still a cracking image of a difficult to photograph species though :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A dark background and a bird that rarely sits still. Not the easiest subject but I will take this photo.

      Delete
  2. Lovely shots on a perfect October day Marc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. I could spend all day every day doing this. Right, where is that Lottery Ticket!!

      Delete
    2. 73 Species in one day,that's good going Marc,look's like the light was in your favour.
      Cracking results.
      John.

      Delete
    3. Thanks John. A good day out with plenty of sunshine and canera action. Just what I needed.

      Delete