Thursday 22 October 2015

A Quality Delivery at Reculver

After the past few days of seeing a good few birds in the Reculver area, it seems that I have the birding bug again and it certainly feels good to be back out and about on the patch. I had a leisurely 5 hour walk around the area today where I started at Shuart and walked out to the sea checking all the bushes on the way. From here I walked west along the seawall and inland at Chambers Wall where I then walked back along the road to complete the loop. There was some sunshine early on but it soon clouded over but remained quite pleasant out. I managed to note 66 species in the walk today which included some quality but also I missed a number of common birds. The day started well when I arrived and spent some time listening around the farm wood, the highlight being a Yellow browed Warbler which I heard calling for a few minutes around 8.20am. On my return some hours later, I also heard it again calling in the wood. Other birds of note today included 2 Ring necked Parakeet, 5 Common Buzzard, c20 Goldcrest, 1 Red legged Partridge, 4 Mistle Thrush, 2 Chiffchaff, 2 Sparrowhawk, 2 Grey Heron, 2 Great spotted Woodpecker and 4 Fieldfare. As I neared the railway crossing I could hear 2 Cetti's Warbler calling and unbelievably, a Dartford Warbler was also calling from a bush in the reeds. I waited a while and gained lovely views of the bird as it moved through the bush, occasionally coming out on top to look around. I took a few images but not a match on my shots the other day of this species. It seems to have been a good year for this species in north Kent. Moving on I noted 8 Long tailed Tit, 1 Little Owl heard, 2 Ringed Plover, c10 Siskin, c20 Reed Bunting, 2 Lesser Redpoll and as I arrived at Coldharbour I could hear Bearded Tits 'pinging' away in the reeds. I got ahead of them and got into a nice position to hopefully get a few photos and it wasn't long until I had 7 Bearded Tit in front of me showing well at close range. Despite the lack of sunshine, I managed some pleasing efforts and I just love this species, surely one of out best looking birds. I have included both a portrait and landscape effort of this species, possibly my best to date of this species. Walking on again I saw c40 Brent Geese, 9 Stonechat, 3 Little Egret, 13 Wigeon, 1 Grey Wagtail, 2 Wheatear, 5 Rock Pipit, 1 Jay and as I neared the car, 2 Swallow flew over north towards the sea. A great session with some quality seen and a few pleasing photos to end the session with. Hopefully more of the same tomorrow!



Male Bearded Tit

17 comments:

  1. Yep, another top quality image there Marc. Did you pick the bird you wanted from the 7, or were they all this immaculate looking :-) Considering the light today, if it was as bad as here, these are very good efforts indeed mate :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Warren. There were 4 males but this one was slightly less shy than the other males. A nice pose that I was very thankful for.

      Delete
  2. It's a good feeling when it all comes together Marc, but when it doesn't...................... LoL

    ReplyDelete
  3. The beauty of the Bearded Tit is special, and you, Marc, have caught it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. A bit special this one after many shots of them over the years.

      Delete
  4. Hi,nice pics yet again,pleased you have caught the birding bug again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan. I wish every session was filled by quality birds and great photographic opportunities. Best make the most of the good times.

      Delete
  5. Cracking set of quality images Marc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Mike. They certainly are stunning birds.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. A scarce bird at Reculver so all the more pleasing to get these images.

      Delete
  7. That's five well spent hours,with amazing results,always a pleasure viewing your post.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks John for your kind words, much appreciated.

      Delete
  8. Despite not being a birder, this is the best shots of a Bearded Tit I've seen. You have no worries mate ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Paul. The second shot in particular is one of my best photos I think. Isolated stem, back on, head turned. Ticks all the boxes for me anyway.

      Delete