Friday 31 July 2015

'Southern' Delights!

With the forecast for today looking very good with light winds, I had unfinished business with the nationally rare Southern Migrants Hawkers at Wat Tyler Country Park in Essex. I hoped that after my last session where I managed a distant record shot, that the weather would be on my side for once and that I may be able to see them and get a few decent images. I arrived at around 10am where the sun was already quite warm and the wind was indeed, very light which was good news. After getting ready and a brief snack and drink, I made my way to the pond where Neil Phillips had seen them the other day. There was already someone on site but despite waiting around for a while, we had no sightings so I decided to have a wander around. I checked a likely area with no luck but walking back to the main pool, I found 1 Southern Migrant Hawker flying up and down the boardwalk which showed well. I took a few images thinking they were quite good, they were to the other day but little did I know what lay in wait for the next hour or so. As I arrived back at the main pool, another dragonfly enthusiast saw a hawker on the other side of the pool where Neil had photographed them the other day. We walked round and was greeted by a superb male Southern Migrant Hawker flying around a small opening which along with another male, stayed around for an hour or so. We had 2, probably 3 male SOUTHERN MIGRANT HAWKERS sightings on this pool and after my 'record' shot the other day, I certainly improved on these with some stunning views of them perched and in flight. I did not expect to get shots like these of such a rare dragonfly in this country but even I am really pleased how they come out, some of my best photos I think I have taken this year. As the sun went in for a while, they landed nearby and allowed some nice profile shots from the side showing the key features of this species. Neil Phillips joined us for a while and was soon firing off a number of shots and after a good look at them through the binoculars, I said my goodbyes and made my way back to the car where I saw 1 Southern Migrant Hawker still flying up and down the boardwalk. Also seen today were a few Ruddy and Common Darters and 1 Emperor Dragonfly. A superb session with the images I had dreamed I would get in the bag and nice to be able to spent time and study them at close range. I don't think I will take a better set this year and to capture such a rarity is just the icing on the cake, suberb!










Southern Migrant Hawker (male)


14 comments:

  1. Another superb set of images Marc, nice one, you even got the 'in flight' shots! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Warren, really pleased with them. Think my fave is second from the bottom. Love the angle and lighting on this one.

      Delete
  2. Amazing images. I can imagine the terror of an insect seeing this fantastically beautiful creature flying at it with gigantic open jaws and grasping forelegs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanjs Wilma. I would imagine its not the best view if you were the insect. They are so quick though that they probably won't see them coming.

      Delete
  3. Superb, far better than anything I managed in 4 years of trying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil. I think your flight shots still lead the way. Good to meet up again in the company of a rare dragonfly, magic.

      Delete
  4. Some real crackers Marc I can see that smile radiating from here !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike. Yes, you are right. The smile is indeed very wide. Couldn't have wished for a better session.

      Delete
  5. I love that one, Southern Migrant Hawker was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. Its certainly a stunner to look at.

      Delete
  6. It doesn't get any better than that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. A real privilege to see and photograph this rare dragonfly.

      Delete
  7. Fantastic photos Marc. Great details and love the setting. Those in flight are unique.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roos. Some of my favorites I have taken this year.

      Delete