Wednesday 29 July 2015

Emerging Willow Emerald Damselfly

Having had a very sore back for the past few days and thankfully with the school holidays now here, I have been able to rest up but have not really been able to get out much for any photography. The weather does not seem to have been that good for a few days now so I don't think I have missed that much. This morning I decided enough was enough and thought I would have an early morning session at a few sites near Reculver. I arrived at 5.45am where the sun was already shining but it felt quite cold for once. I spent some time walking around where I did not note that much, just 2 Emperor Dragonfly, 1 Small Red eyed Damselfly, c15 Common Emerald Damselfly, 1 Migrant Hawker, a few Common Darter and quite a few Common Blue and Blue tailed Damselfly. I decided to move on to a site at Reculver to look for Willow Emerald Damselfly but despite a search, I failed to find any. I did see quite a few Common Blue Damselfly here and 1 Migrant Hawker. With the sun now warming up nicely I drove over to Marshside where out of the wind, I thought I would look for Willow Emerald Damselflies along the road near 'Little Grays Farm'. I started walking along the road checking the bank side vegetation where a few flew up and into the trees and as I scanned the reed line, I could see a Willow Emerald Damselfly emerging. Thankfully I was able to get into a position where I spent the next hour sitting down and photographing the emergence. If I had been a bit earlier, I would have managed more shots as it emerged from the exuviae but I was more than happy to witness this first for me and take a number of pleasing images. Like any emergence, its just a privilege to sit and witness the spectacle and I doubt whether many have been observed emerging in this country although they are spreading well. Towards the end of the session as I was getting ready to leave, I heard a rustle of wing beats in the reeds and watched as a Migrant Hawker climbed up the reeds and made its maiden flight. Another quality session and always nice to come home with a few photos to look at. Hopefully another session on Friday at Wat Tyler Country Park in Essex if the weather looks good for more Southern Migrant Hawkers. I just hope they are still around and give me a few chances with the camera.








'Teneral' Willow Emerald Damselfly (male)

6 comments:

  1. An amazing process to behold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is Wilma and a sight that I will not tire of seeing.

      Delete
  2. Cracking stuff. Probably first photo for UK I would imagine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot find any other photos from the UK of the emergence so I think they may be a first.

      Delete