Sunday 15 March 2015

'Horny' Damsels!

A few weeks ago whilst looking for Large Red Damselfly nymphs at Sue Morton's pond in Westbere, I got talking to her husband Dave who is a keen trout fisherman. Knowing my interest in dragonflies and photographing nymphs during the winter months he asked if I wanted to go along to a nearby river in March where he and a few others carry out a survey to see how healthy the insect life is in the river. He tempted me by mentioning that from time to time they catch Banded Demoiselle nymphs, a species I have yet to see in the larvae stage. After arranging meeting times in the week I met up with Dave and a few others where I spent an hour helping out and watching the recording of the river life there. On the first attempt where all manner of life was put in the trays I scanned carefully looking for the target species. I know what they look like and was soon able to pick one out, then as my eye got in, I found quite a few of differing sizes. In the short time looking through the trays we found c15 Banded Demoiselle nymphs. They commented that this is the most by far they had caught of this species in one go. As this was my first experience actually seeing this species it was interesting to note how stick insect and spider like they were and with added long horns, they looked quite intimidating to the eye. I had turned up all prepared with camera, tripod, tank, pots and nets etc but they were happy for me to bring a few back with me so I could take my time in getting some photos. After dinner last night I set up the tank in the kitchen and got it all lit and spent an hour trying to photograph the Demoiselle nymphs. in various surroundings and backgrounds. Like all larvae under the water, its another world and I spent some time just watching them go about their business, the first pair of legs continually wiping the long antennae and for some, they played little part in walking and seemed to be used as 'feelers'. I managed to obtain a few photos which turned out quite nicely and yet another very educational session, not only on identification but also on habits and more information on camera settings etc. These larvae will be returned to the river in the morning as they live in moving water but I might have another session with one tonight, just in case I can get something a little better with the camera.








Banded Demoiselle Nymph 

3 comments:

  1. Brilliant Demoiselle, so close.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. More minature works of art Warren I think. Not often you get to see such a small nymph up close and study the finer details.

      Delete