Sunday 24 August 2014

A Perfect Morning

With a few days camping coming up with the family tomorrow I was eager to get in a session this morning to see what I could find and photograph. The weather forecast suggested it would be a cloudless dawn, quite chilly and with light winds, perfect for one more go at sunrise photo attempts with the damselflies. I awoke at 5am and looking out of the window was pleased to see the forecasters had got it correct so after getting ready I made the brief drive to a site south of Reculver. As I walked up the pathway with my coat and hat on spiders webs were glistening with dew on them and I hoped that a few early morning shots were on the cards. I soon got into position and set everything up and once again as the light picked up went in search of a few damselflies. I soon found some and settled down in position and took a few tester shots to see how things would work out. At around 6am the sky started to turn red/orange and I started clicking away. With no one around and only the sounds of the wildlife singing and moving I was completely in my element.

Common Blue Damselfly at Sunrise

The colours looking through the viewfinder were breathtaking and although a little 'arty', I very much enjoyed the challenge of trying to capture the day starting with the damselfly looking on, I just get a very peaceful feeling when I look at this sort of photo and very happy I have been able to obtain my own in the last few sessions.

Common Blue Damselfly at Sunrise

With the sun rising higher I moved on for an hour where I had a brief look around. I managed to see quite a few Common Blue Damselfly with the odd Emerald Damselfly, 1 Emperor Dragonfly and 1 Black tailed Skimmer. As I continued on and it got warmer I started to see lots of Common Darter and the odd Ruddy Darter and a check of the trees and bushes revealed a few Migrant Hawker at rest. I spent some time grabbing a few photos of a female which I shall post in the coming weeks when the photos start to dry up. As I walked back to the car I found 1 Small Red eyed Damselfly which posed for a few shots and not long after I was back home for breakfast. A great few sessions trying to capture the sunrise photos and I think I can say I have managed to get a few pleasing efforts. A few days camping locally from tomorrow but hopefully the camera can come with me in case any odonata are flying around the ponds.

Common Blue Damselfly at Sunrise

7 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about these shots giving you a ''peaceful' feeling Marc, just you, the sun and a Damselfly, brilliant mate :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Warren, I do like a challenge especially when the results turn out so well. Very pleased with them.

      Delete
  2. Well done Marc on those great shots this week. It certainly pays being able to get out early!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does indeed although looking at the weather tomorrow, I shall treat myself to a lay in and think of some more challenges.

      Delete
  3. March, that are awesome!
    I want to learn from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shots Marc. You must be well pleased!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Phil, very pleased how they have turned out, a nice reward for early morning efforts. Its scary how human like the faces look in silhouette I think in some shots.

      Delete