Monday 24 June 2024

Here, There and Everywhere

It's been a very busy few weekends with two dragonfly tours over that time to Westbere and New Hythe. Thankfully the rain eventually stopped at Westbere allowing the clients to see 2 Norfolk Hawker, 7 Scarce Chaser and 1 Small Red eyed Damselfly along with the commoner species. This Saturday, I spent the day at New Hythe with some clients where we managed to have better weather. Highlights included 6+ Lesser Emperor including a pair in tandem, 1 Brown Hawker, 2 Downy Emerald, 3 Norfolk Hawker and a Golden ringed Dragonfly on a small stream, only the second ever record for the area. We also spent some time watching damselflies emerging and hunting for exuviae and after a good few years of searching and thanks to a few knowledgeable enthusiasts on Twitter, I finally have found a Lesser Emperor exuviae for my collection. I will photograph this better in due coarse and post some photos. They are so similar to the Emperor Dragonfly exuviae with only a couple of subtle differences. Yesterday Sunday, I spent an hour or so early morning at a site in Seasalter looking unsuccessfully for Southern Emerald Damselfly which were at this site last year but I did manage to find 8 Scarce Emerald Damselfly for my troubles. The site looks excellent and I hope a Southern Emerald Damselfly may appear later on. A busy but very rewarding few weeks for myself and hopefully the clients. A few more weeks at work before the summer holidays are here and lots of sessions will hopefully be had...weather permitting.


Blue tailed Damselfly (Ischnura elegans) - mating pair 



Variable Damselfly (Coenagrion pulchellum) - mating pair



Common Blue Damselfly (Enallagma cyathigerum) - male









Scarce Emerald Damselfly (Lestes dryas) - male



2 comments:

  1. I take particular note of your Golden-ringed Dragonfly Marc, and I'm looking forward to seeing the Lesser Emperor exuviae.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Pete. Hoping to go back to my July sight at some point. It's a busy time now with everything on the wing. will get around to photographing the exuviae at some point...this year! Take care.

      Delete