Saturday 17 June 2023

Norfolk Numbers Doing Well

Having been lens-less for a few weeks other than my Sigma 150mm macro, I ordered another Canon f4 300m lens primarily for dragonflies but with the addition of a Canon 1.4 converter, this also is more than good enough for birds. With the lens arriving on Thursday night, I was keen to give it a good going over today so after a rare rain shower had passed through and the skies had brightened up, I made a visit over to Grove Ferry with the aim of counting the Norfolk Hawkers and also hopefully, a few cheeky photos. I spent a fantastic 3 hours walking just around the Grove Ferry end of the reserve and saw an incredible 70 Norfolk Hawker, the most I have ever seen in one day there. I managed to find 3 mating pairs and was able to photograph 2 of them. Thankfully I was able to move in slowly on them and ended up with some really pleasing images, the lens already performing well. Every ditch held a few and I'm sure the other ditches I couldn't see in had others on them. They seemed to be everywhere which is excellent news for the species. I spent some time trying for a few flight shots with varying success but always love the challenge of trying to find that perfect individual which will hover for you. Other dragonflies noted included 4 Emperor Dragonfly, c15 Four spotted Chaser and 4 Hairy Dragonfly. There were also good numbers of Variable, Azure and Blue tailed Damselfly noted. A cracking few hours and nice to christen the lens with some pleasing images of this stunning dragonfly. 



































Norfolk Hawker (Aeshna isosceles) 

8 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning of the Norfolk Hawker Marc, you can beat others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will just echo what Bob has said here Marc, as it covers perfectly anything I would have said. I had a message from a friend who is having a break, he visited RSPB Rye Meads and said in his message....'the colonisation of Norfolk Hawkers which were in nearly every ditch'....slowly moving north Marc?

    As you see, that's my deleted comment above as I forgot to make this mention about the new lens....Excellent christening ceremony for the new lens Marc, with perfection achieved.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Pete. Yes the new lens arrived, the same as I had previous but Its performing quite well already. Take care.

      Delete
  4. That new lens is serving you well, Marc, and giving great results in the hands of the master!

    I returned from Norfolk at the weekend and the Norfolk Hawkers were doing well there too. I tried for flight shots, but failed miserably (I have difficulty with finding subjects in the viewfinder). I did, however, manage to get four Norfolks in one shot (but not to your high standard) - all female!

    Best wishes - take good care - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. I'm looking forward to your Norfolk shots. If you can find the right subject, they offer good sport to get flight shots but as ever, you do have to be very quick. Tae care.

      Delete
  5. Once again magnificent shots Marc, Regards Mike.

    ReplyDelete