Sunday 4 June 2023

Cloudy Rewards

Back to Westbere Lakes a few days ago for a couple of hours in quite cloudy but bright conditions but still with the very annoying northerly wind. Knowing that a lot would not be flying I made my way up to the river where I hoped to find a few resting dragonflies sheltering out of the wind. It didn't take long for Banded Demoiselles to start to flutter up from the nettles and a few Scarce Chaser were also seen. I quite like a bright cloudy day sometimes as it helps with photography and you tend to get more natural colours rather than burnt out shot sometimes. I was able to find a couple of resting Scarce Chaser that weren't going far and move in quite close with the macro to take a few pleasing images. It was nice to be able to study the fine detail on the wings at close range and not have to panic about it flying off quickly. After a few shots were in the bag I moved off to try to find a few Banded Demoiselle, one of my favourite subjects to photograph. Although cloudy, they were still on high alert and never let me get that close. Perseverance paid off though eventually when I found an individual resting nicely over the pathway at waist height. I was sure it was going to fly off but I was able to move in pretty close and take a few images. They really are stunning and as quick as I had enjoyed the moment, he soon took to the wing and flew off into the reeds. Walking back I saw a few Variable, Azure and Blue tailed Damselflies at rest which was pleasant. Yesterday (Saturday) I led a tour for Kent Wildlife Trust at Oare Marshes to look for the Dainty Damselfly. Although quite sunny in the end and warm, the nagging northerly wind really made us work quite hard. Eventually we did manage to find c6 Dainty Damselfly keeping low in the grasses out of the wind. Also seen were 2 Scarce Emerald Damselfly, 5 Hairy Dragonfly including 3 small nymphs of this species and a few Variable, Azure and Blue tailed Damselfly. Mission accomplished and all went home fairly happy I think. Back to work tomorrow so no doubt it will be sunny, warm and the wind will drop this week now. Hopefully next weekend I can get out again to find some more Dainty Damselflies and Norfolk Hawkers.  












Scarce Chaser (Libellula fulva) - female




Banded Demoiselle (Calopteryx splendens) - male


4 comments:

  1. More cracking Scarce Chaser shot, Marc, and those Banded Demoiselle shots are magical ! I'm pleased to hear that your Oare Marshes tour went well, in spite of the chilly wind.

    Things seem to be improving in this neck of the woods, with a few good sightings already.

    Best wishes - take good care - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. Cloudy days can be pretty good too if you can find them. Glad you are getting in on the action too. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Nothing cloudy about you images though Marc. And this time you have one that I'm finding with more regularity in our area these days, the Banded Demoiselle, which helps to lift the disappointment about probably never going to see your other three species.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love photographing a Banded Demoiselle. Has to be one of my favourite species to see and photograph... if they help you out and pose. They can be very skittish most of he time. Take care.

      Delete