Saturday 26 September 2020

Waiting for the Weekends!

With work seemingly dominating life during the week, it's been left to the weekends to visit Nethergong to enjoy the last month and a bit of the season. It has been a bit of a lottery with the weather but the last few weekends have thankfully delivered some quite nice sunny spells (unlike this weekend) where I have spent a few hours walking around noting good numbers of Willow Emerald Damselfly, Common Darters and Migrant Hawkers. With much of my attention normally swaying towards the Willows, I have been on the lookout for some Migrant Hawkers to photograph and although many have been out of reach, I have found the odd individual to photograph. A careful check last weekend of some sunny sheltered areas proved productive with a few low perching male Migrant Hawkers which allowed me to spend some time sitting down and taking a number of photos of this attractive Hawker. Whilst sitting still taking a few photos, I soon become aware that there were a few Willow Emerald Damselfly perched up in the sun nearby which I couldn't resist. A few campers wondered what I was doing sat down looking at a bush and I was able to show them both species up close which they enjoyed. We are in to that period now where the weather will soon deteriorate and sunny warm days will become a memory but I'm hoping that a few weekends will allow some hours in the sunshine to enjoy what is left of the season.  








Migrant Hawker (Aeshna mixta) - male

 

 

 

6 comments:

  1. Stunning that Migrant Hawker taking a rest of blackberries, beautiful Marc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. Nothing says autumn than a few blackberries.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful images, Marc. I've noticed, recently, how confiding Migrant Hawkers can be when they decide to Settle.I've still not managed to find a photographable female of the species this year.

    I'm surprised that the campers aren't taking the blackberries.

    Take good care - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. It took a while to get a chance but nice to get the chance. There have been plenty of campers picking blackberries in the past week or so I can assure you. Take care.

      Delete
  3. Terrific images Marc. I don't suppose you can get any closer, I like to count the hairs on their head to see if they have got any more than me.
    Stay safe. Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Mike. This individual let me get the macro lens on and sit right next to him. He was only about 2 foot off the floor. Another lovely experience. Take care.

      Delete