Monday 25 May 2020

Today Was A Good Day!

With warm weather forecast and light winds for today in east Kent. I made the most of this and spent 4 hours wandering around Westbere and then Grove Ferry. It was one of those days where it was good to be out, warm sunshine, light winds and plenty of dragonflies and damselflies to watch and photograph made for a lovely session. Wandering at Westbere produced 25 Scarce Chaser with a few posing for photographs including a cracking male and Banded Demoiselle numbers continue to increase.
 

Scarce Chaser (Libellula fulva) - male
 

Scarce Chaser (Libellula fulva) - immature male
 
This species really fascinates me and I found myself under their spell again as I stalked a few to get a few more pleasing shots.
 


Banded Demoiselle (Calopteryx splendens) - male
 
Variable, Azure and Blue tailed Damselflies were well over a hundred each with lesser numbers of Large Red and Red eyed Damselfly. There were c8 Hairy Dragonfly noted as well as 1 Black tailed Skimmer but my personal highlight here was when I flushed my first Norfolk Hawker of the year, always a very special moment for me throughout the year.
 
Black tailed Skimmer (Orthetrum cancellatum) - immature male
 
A 2nd Norfolk Hawker was seen a while later patrolling a ditch but rather than reach for the camera, I just watched in awe through the binoculars. After a few hours of walking around I made my way back to the car and then drove the few minutes to Grove Ferry where I spent another 2 hours wandering around. The highlights here were at least 5 Norfolk Hawker patrolling up and down a few ditches which after a bit of patience, finally rewarded me with a few usable images.
 


Norfolk Hawker (Aeshna isosceles) - male
 
Not the greatest light as it was directly overhead but I'm not complaining too much. Other bits seen here included 2 Four spotted Chaser, 2 Emperor Dragonfly, 2 Black tailed Skimmer and c7 Hairy Dragonfly working the ditches. A few Variable, Azure and Red eyed Damselfly were also noted. A really nice few hours spent out and with plenty to see, observe and photograph, I made my way home very content.  

6 comments:

  1. An astounding number of sightings of so many species, Marc, and fabulous photography too - as always! I'd be hard pressed to achieve a day of sightings like that in this region at any time of year. Sadly, I reckon I can safely say that Norfolk Hawker and Scarce Chaser are out of the question for me this year.

    Take great care - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. I am quite blessed that I live in an area which is rich in odonata life. I'm hoping to get a few more visits in before I return to work soon, especially with the Norfolk Hawkers. Fingers crossed you can get out to also join the party soon. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Really great number of Dragonflies there Marc. Beautiful images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob for your kind words. Much appreciated. Hopefully a few more photos soon if this weather continues.

      Delete
  3. Well done Marc, I am yet to find something to photograph other than the visitors to my garden and they are few and far between. Stay safe. Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That may be so Mike but your garden has Foxes and Badgers. I certainly wouldn't mind both of them. Take care.

      Delete