Sunday 15 December 2019

2019 Odonata Highlights (August - November)

August started well with plenty of Southern Migrant Hawkers at Oare Marshes and I made sure I made a number of visits to see them. In some glorious weather at times, I spent quite a while trying for yet more flight shots of this stunning species and my perseverance was rewarded with a few pleasing images.
 

Southern Migrant Hawker (Aeshna affinis) - male
 
It was also nice to photograph them perched and a few mating and ovipositing pairs were also seen which looks good for the future for this species.
 

Southern Migrant Hawker (Aeshna affinis) - male
 
More time spent at Nethergong in the early evenings looking for emerging Migrant Hawkers was worthwhile with a few seen and one was photographed emerging on a bulrush. For this one, I had to lose the shoes and socks and take a dip but the rewards speak for themselves I hope.
 
Migrant Hawker (Aeshna mixta) - male emerging
 
Plenty more time was spent with the Migrant Hawkers as they matured up over the coming months and there were a number of photographic opportunities which were never turned down.
 
  Migrant Hawker (Aeshna mixta) - male
 
 Migrant Hawker (Aeshna mixta) - immature male
 
As ever in Autumn, the Willow Emerald Damselfly is still flying strongly and this year at Nethergong was their strongest season with a peak count of nearly 400 on one day. I spent many a session down at the stream, often just watching them flying up and down in tandem before flying up into the trees to oviposit. With so  many photos of this species taken it's quite hard to pick a few 'best' shots but I have included a few which provided nice memories.
 
 Willow Emerald Damselfly (Chalcolestes viridis) - male
 
Willow Emerald Damselfly (Chalcolestes viridis) - pair in tandem
 
This year, parts of the UK have seen probably the best season yet of the rare Vagrant Emperor and having not seen one, I was quite tempted a few times to leave the county and try to connect with one. With the season all but over, little did I know that I was in for one last treat. I was checking some messages on Twitter when I come across some Vagrant Emperor photos which were very nice. I then noticed that they were in Kent and even better, at Sandwich Bay Bird Observatory which is not too far from where I live. This I must admit got me quite excited but would it hang around, surely not. I tried to arrange to see it that evening without success but had arranged to meet up with the warden should it still be there the next day. Good news! The next morning saw it still present and that evening in the dark, I met up with the warden and he kindly took me to the site where I saw my first ever Vagrant Emperor, a female. I took a number of photos and spent some time studying this cracker before leaving a very happy man. I was hoping that I could make another visit that weekend to maybe get some better photos and see it in daylight so on the Saturday, I arrived quite early and searched the area at first light. I initially couldn't find her but constant searching in the end rewarded me with the unfortunate sight of her laying on the floor at the base of the tree. I put her back on the tree a few times where after a few photos, she would fall down each time. With just a faint pulse in the end on the wings, it was a sad sight to see the end of such a wonderful dragonfly. Although not the desired outcome, It must I think be one of the undoubted highlights of the year for me. To see something 'new' is always exciting and this was no different and a fantastic way to end the season.
 
Vagrant Emperor (Anax ephippiger) - female
 
It's been another excellent season both in studying and photographing the species I have encountered and I'm already looking forward to next year when I plan some new challenges to fulfil. I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the visitors that have looked in on my blog throughout the year and taken the time to comment on my photos. They are very much appreciated.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Marc! What a wonderful post to end the year on (unless you've got something up your sleeve for a December retrospective!). Thank you so much for all the wonderful information and inspiration in 2019. I'm already looking forward to your blog offerings from the next season. I have some plans already in place and booked for next year, and I'm also hoping I'll get the opportunity to meet up with you during the year. Have a great Christmas - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A massive thank you Richard for your support this year. As a regular contributer, you really do push me on to better myself. I'm hoping we can cross paths next year at a venue. Keep up you excellent blog. It's a joy to read and look at your photos.

      Delete
  2. A fabulous finale to your year. Large Red Damsels soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. Always nice to look back on the photos. Some lovely memories to remember in these dark cold days and nights. It will soon pass though and the season will start again.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Many thanks Mike. It seems an age away to the warmer weather but it will soon be here. I just wish it would stop raining now!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful dragonflies Marc, my favourite is the Migrant Hawker, so colouring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many thanks Bob. When they are matured up, the colours up close are quite superb.

    ReplyDelete