Thursday 17 October 2019

Making The Next Generation

With the weather being very changeable in the past few weeks and seemingly little warm sunshine to enjoy (at least during the weekends), whenever the sun does appear, there seems to an immediate appearance of Common Darters and Migrant Hawkers. Knowing their season is probable coming to an end, they seem very aware of trying to find a female more than ever to carry on the next generation. During my last few sessions at Nethergong, I have managed to find a few mating pairs. Some have seen me first and have exploded from their perch and flown off but others have been very accommodating and allowed me to get quite near with the macro lens and take a few photos. With the temperatures dropping quite considerable lately, they probably only have a few weeks to go until their time will be called. Until then, every slightly warm glimmer of sunshine will have this species busily searching the streams and dykes for females in which to mate with. With a week off work next week, I'm hoping for a few sunny days to allow both them and me to enjoy the last few weeks of the season. Hopefully a few Willow Emerald Damselflies will also be still on the wing to enjoy.
 



Migrant Hawkers (Aeshna mixta) - mating pair
 


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful Migrant Hawkers making babies. The best I have seen, thanks Marc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent shots, Marc! Great to see that you're still enjoying the dragons down there. I hope that the weather is kind to you in the next week. Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete