Thursday 16 August 2018

Willow Emerald Damselfly Numbers Slowly Building

I made a visit to Nethergong yesterday between midday and 3pm where despite it being quite cloudy with only a few rare glimpses of the sun, I managed to find a good total of 45 Willow Emerald Damselfly. With a bit more time on my hands, I was able to make a more thorough search of the area where most were found perching up and only a few seen at the stream and just the one pair seen in tandem. I had been very concerned about the number seen this year with most visits only just getting into double figures and not that many seen emerging as per previous years. I wasn't sure whether the cold spell we had at the beginning of the year may well have killed off a number of the eggs which lay in the branches and stems overhanging the water but it does seem, that the numbers are starting to pick up slowly now. Having spoke to a few other enthusiasts who monitor this species, they have also commented on the low numbers this year. Is this due to the cold weather mentioned or the species expanding their range and moving out of some sites? Hopefully, I can now make a few more visits early afternoon where like last year, they are often observed arriving at the stream in tandem and mating and ovipositing. Having seen some good numbers yesterday, I am at least optimistic that this colony can continue to do well and expand their range locally. Hopefully, my camera will be able to continue to document the lives of this stunning damselfly.  Also seen yesterday were c25 Migrant Hawker, 1 Southern Hawker, 2 Brown Hawker, c10 Emerald Damselfly and a few Blue tailed Damselfly.
 



Willow Emerald Damselfly (Chalcolestes viridis) - female




Willow Emerald Damselfly (Chalcolestes viridis) - male






Willow Emerald Damselfly (Chalcolestes viridis) - female

 
 

10 comments:

  1. After seven blank days, I can't tell you how pleased I was to see this post about the 45 WED's you found and photographed at Nethergong. I promise you I'm a much happier man now than I have been lately, and I'm sure you are too....Thanks Marc.

    Regards

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Pete for your kind words. Much appreciated and ice to be out again in my own little world with the camera.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. I've missed out on these in the past few weeks so will have to make up some time with them. Tomorrow looks good weather wise.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Many thanks Wilma. It can be tricky to show off the emerald green with is species. Hopefully back again to try again.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks... I think Mike. I'm just thankful their numbers seemed to have stabilised. Hopefully a few more visits to photograph them mating and ovipositing would be nice.

      Delete
  5. I see your wonderful images, Marc, and fully understand your passion for this species. Real crackers!! Hopefully, I'll see these beauties one day - in the meantime I'll content myself with enjoying your efforts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. Just back from Nethergong where I managed to find 131 Willow Emerald Damselflies, I think my highest single count ever from this site. I'm sure of I went to a few other areas, I would have found more.

      Delete