Monday 18 June 2018

Winning the Flight Challenge?

Having been away all weekend camping with the family, I didn't get out at all to have a look for any dragonflies or damselflies but with some nice sunshine forecast for this afternoon, I made a visit over to Grove Ferry after work at 4:15pm for a look around. On arrival, there was a very brisk wind which as I walked through the reserve, got me thinking that it probably wasn't the best weather to attempt flight shots but ever the optimist, I decided that it was still worth a try. I spent nearly two hours on site where I managed to see 10 Norfolk Hawker including a mating pair and a female which was trying to oviposit but kept getting hassle from the males. Having walked the ditch a few times now, I found a few individuals that I thought I would try some flight shots with. As anyone will know with flight shots, there are a lot of factors I have mentioned in previous posts and added today was a strong breeze which meant the hawkers when hovering were constantly moving about as they tried to fight the wind. Having said that, I persevered and was rewarded with some nice flight shots which may be my best attempts so far this season of this species.
 



Norfolk Hawker (Aeshna isosceles) - male
 
You've only got to be slightly out of focus and your shot could be ruined but luckily today, I seemed to get a few fully in focus which was most pleasing. Always striving for the best shots I can, I will no doubt be back hopefully at the weekend to see if any improvements can be made. Only a few weeks now until the Willow Emerald Damselfly season begins and there should be some Emerald Damselflies emerging soon at Nethergong. On another note, I had 3 Migrant Hawker emerge last night from my garden pond that I was rearing to hopefully photograph emerging but I did at least collect the exuviae this morning for the collection. Maybe a few more should emerge in the next few evenings.
 




Norfolk Hawker (Aeshna isosceles) - male


8 comments:

  1. In flight, I am in love with Norfolk Hawker Marc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. Pleased with these shots. Nice to get some perpendicular to the camera which obviously helps.

      Delete
  2. Wow,magnificent flight captures Marc,each shot looks like a masterpiece.
    I would love to produce the same.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your kind words John. Having looked at them again a day later, I am pretty pleased with these. Don't think I will improve on these this season.

      Delete
  3. Not sure the (?) was necessary in your title Marc, I reckon you should consider deleting it....'I WON THE FLIGHT CHALLENGE'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Pete. I'm my own worst critic as you probably have worked out. Always looking to improve on my shots.

      Delete
  4. Yep! You've won the flight challenge, and I don't think anyone is likely to take the title away from you, Marc. Wonderful shots!

    If the weather holds for next week, I hope to be connecting with this species in Norfolk, and trying to find Swallowtail butterfly too - Travelodge already booked for a night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. Think these may be hard to beat. Finally might have nailed them. Best of luck for your visit to see them. I hope they perform got you and the camera.

      Delete