Saturday 30 June 2018

3rd Time Lucky

Having seen a good number of Southern Migrant Hawkers this year and last year in Essex, I have still to see my first one in my home county of Kent so with a few being reported a week or so ago at Cliffe in north Kent, I decided that this year was as good as any to finally see this species. Having got directions of Frank Cackett, I have made two trips to the site meeting Frank where frustratingly, I failed to see any despite Frank seeing them in the mornings on both occasions. It seemed that they were quite active around 8:30 - 10am before the heat of the day made them go to rest in amongst the trees. With the weekend here, I decided to give it one more go this morning and arrived on site about 8:15am where the sun was just starting to break through. I met up with Frank again who was as desperate to find one for me as I was to see one so after a chat, we split up and started our search. It wasn't long until my phone was ringing with the news that Frank was watching a Southern Migrant Hawker and after a very quick walk/jog, I was with Frank where thankfully, after a worrying minute where it vanished, I was soon watching my first ever Kent Southern Migrant Hawker flying around and checking us out. Frank continued his walk and I stayed and hoped I would be able to get a few perched shots which not too long after, I saw the hawker come to rest. After a bit of stalking, I was soon firing off a few shots from distance and slowly edging in to get a few better quality images of this female.
 

Southern Migrant Hawker (aeshna affinis) - female
 
She spent a while flying around the area and landed on a few occasions where a few more photos were taken before as quick as she appeared, she disappeared. I spent the next hour or so walking around the site where I managed to see a total of 3 Southern Migrant Hawkers including 1 male which was flying up and down but never settled. I did get some nice views through the binoculars though. With my prize seen well and captured on camera, I left a very happy man. Hopefully this species will continue to spread and become more numerous in other parts of Kent in the next few years for others to see and appreciate.
 


Southern Migrant Hawker (aeshna affinis) - female


6 comments:

  1. Superb images Marc,love the wing pattern,lovely crisp lines,that's a thing I'm trying to perfect.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks John. Really pleased to have at last connected with this rare dragonfly in Kent.

      Delete
  2. Really cool Marc, I love the Southern Migrant Hawker, lovely find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. A real classy dragonfly to finally catch up with in Kent. Hopefully their spread will continue.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful sighting and images, Marc, of a fabulous dragon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. Certainly a striking dragonfly to observe and photograph.

      Delete