Saturday 26 May 2018

Female Norfolk Hawker Emerging

Since managing to find and photograph a Norfolk Hawker a few nights ago at Grove Ferry, I have made a few more visits during the week where on a  few occasions, I have managed to find a few Norfolk Hawker exuviae and locate a few probable Norfolk Hawker nymphs. With the weather prospects looking good again last night (Friday) with not a breath of wind and pretty mild, I decided to give it a good go again to see whether I could find anymore nymphs to photograph emerging. I arrived at 8:15pm and had a steady check of the dyke in question where after searching the margins, I located a Norfolk Hawker exuviae (photos on my Twitter feed - @MarcHeathym007). Its very easy to look in an area and think nothing is there but I have learnt to make sure I really do check the area well before moving on. As I continued to check, I soon found 1 probable Norfolk Hawker nymph just above the surface and hoped that I would have a chance to photograph another emergence so with this in mind, everything was set up and I waited for darkness to appear. Just before 9:30pm and with me staring at the nymph and waiting, I started to search with the torch around me and unbelievably, found a Hawker nymph already up on the reed and starting to emerge. Panic set in momentarily as I tried to manoeuvre myself into a slightly better position. I once again to get a clear shot had to remove a few reeds but was nice and close now to this nymph emerging. A quick few practice shots to get the flash intensity right and I was all settled for an hour or so of watching another emergence happen. As I sat and watched, I saw those green eyes once again appearing from within the exuviae and knew I was onto another Norfolk Hawker emergence. With no wind to make photography a challenge (the midges, spiders, bugs and noises did that) I was able to take a number of photos of each stage and marvel at the site once again appearing in front of me. After the dragonfly had emerged and pumped its wings up, it decided to move around the reed and slowly climb a little higher which meant my session was over. I remember back in January when I decided to pursue this challenge that it would be an odonata highlight to witness such a spectacle and it has most definitely delivered all the feelings I wanted in achieving this. I retuned back to the car quite late with my photos and Norfolk Hawker exuviae a very happy and contented person. I will probably have another go in the next few days as I have two weeks off work now but can't wait now to see an adult Norfolk Hawker perched up or in flight. It may even happen today as I will be out this afternoon at Westbere Lakes looking for them.
 









Norfolk Hawker (female) Emerging


13 comments:

  1. It certainly pays to try out of normal hours!! Great shots Marc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. I'm certainly over the moon with these attempts. Just goes to show if you put your mind to it, the rewards are there with a bit of hard work and homework.

      Delete
  2. How do you that, get it in emerging, love it Marc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With a bit of reading, lots of visits and searching. Pretty unsociable hours but well worth it.

      Delete
  3. Oh my - these are fantastic. The backbend shot with all 6 legs visible is a stunner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Wilma. A favourite pose of mine too. Stays in this position for up to 20 minutes whilst the legs harden.

      Delete
  4. I've been on "early shift" this week and will do tomorrow for the bank holiday. Away out in 10 minutes ... 04.15 and return about midday. It helps miss the crowds so Dragon hunting starts from Tuesday. Hope to bump into your good self at Westbere one late morn / afternoon. It's hard to believe those images were captured in the dark ..... brilliant work Marc !!!! I know what you mean regarding the noises at night in the countryside .... you hear some strange things (esp. from cows) and it's hard to fathom out what they might be !!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks. A set I keep looking back at to realise I've actually done it. Had a nice afternoon at Westbere today. Plenty around to look at. Just the 1 Norfolk Hawker seen along the river but their numbers should start building soon.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on a brilliant post,a very rewarding find,I would be delighted to come across such a find.
    It takes time and effort to produce brilliant images,and you certainly done that by the bucket load.
    Well done Marc.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks John. This challenge did require quite a bit of homework but very pleased to have achieved my goal.

      Delete
  6. Amazing pictures once again Marc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Mike. I think they have to be some of my best to date.

      Delete
  7. Just catching up after returning from the Outer Hebrides, Marc. These are mouth-wateringly beautiful images!

    Best wishes - - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete