Friday 13 April 2018

Black Winged Stilt at Stodmarsh

With news breaking yesterday evening of a Black winged Stilt seen from the Marsh Hide at Stodmarsh, I was hoping that it would stay overnight and that I could make an early morning visit to connect with this attractive wader. I have only ever seen one Black winged Stilt in the Stour Valley, that being in May 2015, and that was only a one day bird which showed quite distantly from the water meadows so to get another chance with this species was not to be missed. I was up early this morning and drove over to Grove Ferry where in the growing light, I walked out to the Marsh hide where unbelievably, Steve Ashton was already on site. To see Steve at this early hour is itself, a rare sight! Thankfully, the Stilt was still in residence and even better, on the nearest part of water to the hide which afforded excellent views through the binoculars but slightly harder to achieve any useable photos due to the low light, cloud, murk etc. I spent a few hours in the hide before making a quick trip home before returning a while later where I again spent a few hours in slightly better light where I managed a few photos of this little stunner. Having spent most of its time in front of the hide, it was inevitable that it would move to a further pool which it did but still showed quite well at range. With a few shots taken and lovely views through the day, I decided to leave for home. Other birds seen today included 1 female Ring Ouzel, 3 Marsh Harrier, 1 Kestrel, 5 Water Pipit, 5 Redshank, 6 Canada Geese, 1 Pintail, 1 Shelduck, c12 Sedge Warbler, 1 Bearded Tit, 1 Sand Martin,  c40 Fieldfare and back at the ramp, 1 Whimbrel called as it flew east mid afternoon.
 








Black winged Stilt


12 comments:

  1. Superb collection of a very special bird,it's great to see such a rare bird,well done Marc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks. They are stunners aren't they. A great subject for the camera...Even better if the sun would come out.

      Delete
  2. The last shot of this long legged beauty is my pick of the best, stands out well with the background and perfect flat light....Excellent set Marc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Pete. Thankfully, the Friday 13th curse didn't work today. It's a good day if you've seen a Stilt in the UK.

      Delete
  3. One of my favourite birds Marc and one I have only seen a few times. Great shots, wish I was there today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. They are a photographers dream bird in one way. Just wish the sun joined us. That would have ticked all the boxes then.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous photos.
    All photos are beautiful but the first is my favorite
    Greetings
    Maria de
    Divagar Sobre Tudo um Pouco

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful images, Marc, of a fabulous bird that I have never seen in UK.

    It seems that it's starting to get a bit warmer up here in the frozen north, and I'm keeping fingers crossed for some emergences soon!

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. They are star birds to see and photograph. I suspect the next few years will see more of them in our country. I've had 4 Large Red Damselfly emerge today. I've already got burnt in the sun down here!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. A good study for the photographer.

      Delete