Saturday 24 March 2018

Shag Fix at Reculver!

It's that exciting time in the birding calendar when the migrants normally start to arrive on our shores, but what with the cold weather I suspect of a few weeks back and differing wind directions, they seem thus far to be very thin on the ground. Ever the optimist, I decided this morning to have a walk along the seawall at Reculver and inland to Chambers Wall before retracing my steps back to the car. On arrival at 6.30am, it was actually quite mild compared to my visits of a few weeks ago and the wind had considerably dropped. I started off with a scan of the rocks in the car park which soon revealed a Black Redstart but with the light not too good, I hoped I might be able to get a few photographs on my return. Birds noted today included 12 Shelduck, 3 Grey Heron, 2 Pied Wagtail, 2 Dunlin, 1 Grey Plover, 15 Redshank, 34 Oystercatcher, 53 Dark bellied Brent Geese, 10 Reed Bunting, 1 Little Egret, 3 Great crested Grebe offshore, 3 Turnstone, 7 Ringed Plover, 5 Skylark and 2 Canada Geese flew out of the Wantsum and flew east towards Shuart, a scarce bird to often connect with during the year. I had seen that yesterday, Derek Smith had photographed an adult shag in breeding plumage at Plumpudding and although I have seen many at Reculver, I have yet to see one in breeding plumage at Reculver so was quite interested to see this. I scanned all the Cormorants as they flew by or drifted past on the water until I at last found an adult Shag in summer plumage drifting east not far from the towers. Although a little distant, I took a few shots before moving on quite pleased. I contacted Matt Hindle to let him know and he replied telling me he was still watching the Plumpudding bird. Even better then that I had found another bird and this was soon joined by another non breeding / 1st winter Shag. This species can be scarce in Kent so to connect with 2 Shag today at Reculver was a bonus. Other birds noted today were 2 Marsh Harrier, 2 Cetti's Warbler, 1 Green Woodpecker, 6 Golden Plover, 10 Song Thrush, c20 Linnet, 1 Rock Pipit heard, 2 Gadwall, 1 Stonechat, 11 Red throated Diver and 1 Sanderling. I returned this afternoon in better light and spent an hour sitting on the beach off the towers where the 2 Shag were feeding quite close in which allowed me to take a number of pleasing images compared to my mornings attempts. As I sat quietly near the rocks, the Black Redstart also appeared quite close to me and I was able to take a few shots before it vanished back into the rocks. No Wheatear or hirundines yet and Ive still to hear my first Chiffchaff singing. Hopefully I can have another session in the morning where perhaps, a Wheatear may have arrived.
 



Adult Shag in Breeding Plumage 


1st Winter? Shag
 

Black Redstart
 


8 comments:

  1. Hi Marc, you shot the Shag really beautiful, and the Black Redstart as well. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. It was great to be out birding again. Much more to come I think.

      Delete
  2. Good to see some 'birdy' pics from you Marc, and pleased you got the bonus Shag.

    There's a good time coming, and the dragons will be here before you know it....There, I've said it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Pete. Really enjoyed getting out today for some birding. Planning to get out a lot more I hope for some more of this.

      Delete
  3. Super captures, Marc. Well done with catching the Shag flip/dive action. Your Black Redstart images are my favourite. Witgh my best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. A welcome change getting out birding. Something I need to get back into.

      Delete
  4. Hello Marc. We really enjoyed the amazing photographs you posted above. Hopefully the warm weather will move in so we can see more fantastic photographs from you. Thanks for the share. Have a great day.
    World of Animals

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!
    First time I see such a Shag, its gorgeous with its crest!
    Congrats, Marc!
    You must be getting ready for the dragons soon ;-)
    All the best

    ReplyDelete