Saturday 6 January 2018

Keeled Skimmer (Orthetrum coerulescens) Exuviae

During June last year, I made a trip to Hothfield Common near Ashford which hosts Kents only Keeled Skimmer colony. On arrival in warm sunny conditions, I made my way to the small area which has a boardwalk cutting through the boggy area. I had only been to this site once before but remembered that they often spent some time basking in the sunshine on the boardwalk, It wasn't long until I noticed a few males flying low over the bog and with patience, they soon flew in and landed on the boardwalk where I was able to obtain a few images. As well as seeing the dragonflies, I wanted to spend some time seeing if I could find an exuviae of this species as I didn't have one in my collection. I spent some time looking over the side of the boardwalk and in all honesty, I didn't expect to find any but after what seemed an age looking, I somehow found one very low down on some grasses. I carefully removed and potted up and on arrival home, checked some of the identification features to make sure this was indeed a Keeled Skimmer exuviae. I noted the almost straight labial mask with shallow serrations, small size, small eyes and the lack of spine on S8. Its taken me a while to get round to it but I spent a while this afternoon taking a few photos from different angles of the exuviae to hopefully show a few of the features. I always find it amazing that they emerge from the smallest of holes and then transform into amazing dragonflies. I have a few more exuviae still to photograph which I shall do and post in due coarse. On a different subject, I purchased the latest version of Photoshop yesterday so it may take me a while to get to grips with it and do the photos justice with my editing skills. I have been using Photoshop Elements 2 for a number of years now but it has served me well. These are my first attempts with the new software which seems quite different but hopefully with a bit of practice, I will get the hang of it.

Keeled Skimmer Exuviae (side view) 


Keeled Skimmer Exuviae (side view)  


Keeled Skimmer Exuviae (side view)  


Keeled Skimmer Exuviae (top view)  


Keeled Skimmer Exuviae (mask)  


Keeled Skimmer Exuviae (side view)  

Keeled Skimmer Exuviae (mask) 



 





4 comments:

  1. Beautiful images of the Keeled Skimmer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. With the season a few months away, its passing the time by quite nicely.

      Delete
  2. I love that last image, Marc - the expression on its 'face' is priceless! Best wishes - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. He looks quite pleased with himself doesn't he. Obviously a happy emergence.

      Delete