Saturday 18 November 2017

What To Do During The Winter Months?

With another weekend of rain, dull days and low temperatures barely getting above 7 degrees celsius, it looks like I will not be seeing anymore dragonflies this year but all is not lost as the dragonfly season moves under the water during the colder months. Most dragonflies and damselflies spend most of their life in the nymph stage but because its takes place under the water, most are totally unaware that their lives carry on. For some, they will spend the winter in the egg stage and will await the slowly warming months where they will hatch and grow quickly in order to emerge a few months later. It would be very easy for me to go into hibernation now that the adult stage is seemingly over but I will hopefully once again spend some time pond dipping at various locations to see if I can collect, photograph and study a few different species of nymph in my indoor tank set up. It has certainly provided many rewarding hours so far, not only photographing them and learning of the different settings required to photograph them but also studying their behaviour, how they move, what they they eat and how different species hunt. Hopefully over the long dark winter months, I will be able to get out and  find a few new species I have not yet photographed in the nymph stage but am always looking to improve on my photos from previous years and expand my own personal knowledge in these areas. The answers to my last post concerning the wings of different species were as follows: 1. Broad bodied Chaser, 2. Brown Hawker, 3. Common Clubtail, 4. Four spotted Chaser, 5. Hairy Dragonfly, 6. Norfolk Hawker, 7. Red veined Darter, 8. Scarce Chaser, 9. Southern Emerald Damselfly, 10. Southern Hawker, 11, White faced Darter and 12. Willow Emerald Damselfly. Below are a few photos of nymphs I have taking in the past couple of years. 

Banded Demoiselle Nymph 

Broad bodied Chaser Nymph 


Hairy Dragonfly Nymph 


Migrant Hawker Nymph

10 comments:

  1. That's what you do, thanks Marc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to be able to study and photograph them from the warmth of the house with a cuppa.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful stuff again Marc. I wish I could find some wildlife in my living room because I certainly can't find much outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I didn't do anything through the winter months, o think I might go mad. Instead I can set up a few tanks and enjoy watching and studying them in the house.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Many thanks. Appreciate your visit and comment.

      Delete
  4. Hello Marc,
    Amazing those details and I love the wonderful captures you made of this "hidden" world. Thank you for showing us what so often is not seen.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you Roos and thanks for your comment. It's nice to try to bring this hidden world to life.

      Delete
  5. I'm really looking forward to more of your fabulous winter Odonata nymph photography, Marc - particularly as I'm not likely to be able to do any myself as I'm sure Mrs P. would not be impressed by tanks being set up in our conservatory. Keep them coming! Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. Normally by now I'm all set up and ready to go but I'm a bit behind this year. Hopefully I can get my act together and find a few suitable nymphs to photograph during the lean times ahead.

      Delete