Saturday 30 September 2017

I've Got The 'Ex' Factor!

One of my challenges this year was to try to improve on my exuviae collection. Whilst I have collected a few in the past few years, they have generally been potted up and put out of sight where I have forgot about them. I have since found myself during the past few seasons getting more and more interested in not only finding and photographing the dragonflies and damselflies that I encounter but purposely looking for and photographing the exuviae. Whilst some exuviae are quite easy to identify, there are many challenges along the way to identify some species, especially some of the damselflies which have to be studied closely through a hand lens to see some of the key features. At first this was indeed a challenge, but after I purchased the 'Field Guide to the Larvae and Exuviae of British Dragonflies' by Steve Cham, I started to understand the key features to look for on each species. With time, patience and practice, I am now at a stage where I can identify the species I have collected so far from my travels but still have much to learn. I have made time this season to specifically look for the exuviae of different species to collect and in some cases, watch them fully emerge from the exuviae, an added bonus. Many hours have been spent peering into reeds searching for the exuviae and although some sessions have resulted in little seen and collected, the satisfaction of finding one in good condition still feels pretty good. I like the feeling that a whole story has happened unknown to us in the reedbeds. The nymph spending some times, a few years under water before climbing out to emerge to start its adult life, leaving behind this delicate reminder of its presence. I have managed to add quite a few species this year to my collection, my personal favourite being the Norfolk Hawker exuviae I collected at Westbere Lakes which took me about 4 years of searching! I have also had a Common Clubtail and 2 Scarce Emerald Damselfly exuviae sent to me in the post by fellow enthusiast, Jon Mee. Yes he really did send them in the post but unbelievably, they arrived in excellent condition. Its always nice occasionally to spend some time looking through the collection to refresh the mind but I hope next season, I can fill a few gaps of species that I need to find and collect including Brown Hawker, Downy Emerald, Red eyed and Small Red eyed Damselfly to name a few. An interesting collection to make along side the photography of the dragonflies and damselflies.I  thoroughly recommend it.




The 'Growing' Exuviae Collection

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. A nice reminder of each species and a little souvenir.

      Delete
  2. A very impressive collection, Marc!

    I have started to collect exuvia myself - my first were White-faced Darter last year. I'm keeping mine in air-tight pots and they sit on a shelf on my book case. I did, however, make one big mistake when I first started, and that was to also put the bit of vegetation that they were clinging to into the pot. This, unfortunately, resulted in mould forming!

    Keep up the good work. Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. Nice to see you have a collection too. A worthwhile hobby in itself and at least they don't move when you photograph them.

      Delete
  3. Nice set Marc and it knocks spots off that other X factor!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed Bob. Hopefully the collection can grow in the next few years if I keep it up.

      Delete
  4. Love the detail and dedication in all your work,amazing collection,which will grow and grow.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks John. Another angle to learn something about them. There's always something that can be learnt about their lives as nymphs.

      Delete