Wednesday 2 August 2017

Dewy Darters

I have just returned from four days camping at Nethergong with the family where during the stay, I was able to get out a number of times with the camera to see what dragonflies, damselflies and birds could be seen and photographed. The weather was generally very warm during the day and quite chilly at night which was perfect for getting out early to see if any early morning dewy dragonflies or damselflies could be found. I found myself getting up at 5am on Monday and Tuesday where after a very short walk, I was soon looking and listening for the sounds of wings beating in the long grasses. It wasn't long until I found a few dewy Emerald Damselflies and whilst looking at one, I then noticed an immature male Ruddy Darter higher up in the grass with its wings glistening beautifully in the early morning sun which had just risen. I got myself into a decent position and rattled off a few shots but if I am honest, I was slightly disappointed with the results as most had parts of the shot that were not quite in focus.


Immature male Ruddy Darter

I should have taken more time and rather than hand hold the shots, opted for a monopod or even better, a tripod. I ended up with a few usable images though and hopefully, I may find a few more in the next few weeks from which to improve upon. I was also able to take a few sunrise shots on both mornings as well as a few more dewy Willow Emerald shots which I shall post in due coarse. It was also nice to see good numbers of Migrant Hawker on the wing during my stay and that will hopefully be a challenge in my next few sessions if the weather allows it. A pleasant few days away with the family and an added bonus that I was also able to share my time with the numerous species of wildlife that Nethergong has to offer.  


Immature male Ruddy Darter

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful images Marc, the Immature male Ruddy Darter are the superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. A lovely time to be out and about. A bonus to find and photograph these.

      Delete
  2. Fabulous shots, Marc. It seems to have its head tucked well down - perhaps it likes the warmth of the sun on the back of its neck. Come to think of it, so do I, but it's a feeling I've almost forgotten!

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. I think my camping days coincided with the best weather days. Always ready for an early start.

      Delete