Saturday 22 July 2017

The Willows of Nethergong

With a little sunshine forecast for this morning, I decided after a few weeks absence to visit Nethergong to make a count of the Willow Emerald Damselflies that are there along the stream. I arrived at 8.45am where the sun was making brief visits through the clouds but it was at least quite warm and sheltered where I was looking. I spent a good 2 hours walking c100 yds along the stream side checking the emergent vegetation and long grasses and ended up seeing c100 Willow Emerald Damselfly. Not a bad tally for such a short distance. I would expect there are many more to be found if I walked a little further but this is the first time I have had a three figure count I believe in one visit. Whilst checking the bank side vegetation, I saw a number of exuviae and also saw a few Willow Emerald Damselflies in various stages of emerging. Although the angle was not that good, I spent a while photographing one emerging before putting the camera down and just sat back and watched the new life emerge in front of my eyes.

Emerging Willow Emerald Damselfly

A good number were seen making their maiden flights to the long grasses and trees nearby and these provided a few photo opportunities throughout the visit. It looks like this will be another good season for them and I hope they continue to spread on the site and throughout east/west Kent.

Willow Emerald Damselfly (male) 


Willow Emerald Damselfly (female) 

Iv'e waited till last season for them to emerge again so I will make no apologies for plenty more photos of them in the next few months and hopefully this may include a few shots of a mating pair and egg laying. Also seen today were c30 Emerald Damselfly, a few Blue tailed, Azure and 1 Large Red Damselfly along with 1 Emperor Dragonfly and my first Migrant Hawker of the year. With time off now for the summer holidays, hopefully I can make a few more visits to monitor this site and continue to enjoy watching and photographing the odonata that Nethergong has to offer. 


Willow Emerald Damselfly (male) 

Willow Emerald Damselfly (female) 


Willow Emerald Damselfly (male) 

7 comments:

  1. Ooooh, that female in the 3rd from last image is breathtakingly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Wilma. There's nothing like seeing those fresh wings after they have just emerged. Perfect stain glass windows.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful array, it makes me feel right on top. Thanks Marc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful species Marc. Another one to hunt out. Great pics as always too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. Take a trip to Kent. Seems to be a good number about if you know where to look.

      Delete
  4. Hi Marc. Just catching up after my return from a week in Hampshire with virtually no internet.

    It's great to see you back with the Willow Emeralds again, and with such fabulous images. I just love the light reflection and subtle colours on that one of the teneral female.

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete