Saturday 8 July 2017

The 'Willow' Season Begins

With the second week of July normally heralding the beginning of the Willow Emerald Damselfly flight season, I made a brief visit over to Nethergong last night about 6.45pm where I spent nearly an hour walking alongside the stream checking the vegetation and grasses. I managed to find c40 Emerald Damselfly ranging from tenerals to adults and no doubt, I shall make plenty of time for photo opportunities. The highlight however, was seeing my first Willow Emerald Damselfly which frustratingly, didn't stay around too long. Knowing they were at least starting to emerge, I made an early morning visit back to Nethergong this morning where I spent 3 hours making a good search of the vegetation and long grasses. Despite the cloudy and quite breezy conditions with only a little sunshine at times, I managed to find 21 Willow Emerald Damselfly, most newly emerged and still near their exuviae. I watched a number make their maiden flights into the long grasses and nearby trees which then allowed me to collect some exuviae of this species. I then spent a little time walking alongside the grasses and found a few resting up and this gave the camera the opportunity to get a few photos and thankfully, the sun duly made an appearance at this point. With a few photos taken, I made time to study them up close and will hopefully enjoy many photographic experiences in the next few months with them. I recall last year that I saw well over 100 throughout the season at Nethergong so fingers crossed for another bumper season this year. Weather permitting, I shall hopefully be back out early tomorrow morning for a few hours. 




Willow Emerald Damselfly (male) 



Willow Emerald Damselfly (female) 

Willow Emerald Damselfly Exuviae

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant photography, the Willow Emerald Damselflies are superb, I would love to see one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. They are slowly spreading. They certainly are a stunning damselfly to observe and photograph.

      Delete