Wednesday 7 June 2017

Enjoying Those 'Scarce' Moments

During my last few visits, I have had some success with the Scarce Chasers. Around the entrance to Westbere Lakes, there are a number of cut down trees which have opened up an area to allow more light and promote new growth. These branches have provided the Scarce Chaser with some ideal look out posts from which to hunt and look out for passing females. I spent a while last weekend watching them chasing other species away whilst always normally returning back to their chosen perch. I was then able to move in slowly and await their return which gave me the chance to study them up close and rattle off a few pleasing efforts.


Scarce Chaser (male)

Whilst crouched down, I soon become aware that quite a few damselflies were in the nearby grasses and as my eyes adjusted to the area, a pair of mating Blue tailed Damselflies could be seen. A slow wriggle around and I was able to take a few shots with quite a clear background. 

Blue tailed Damselflies (mating pair)

Hopefully out at the weekend if the weather allows to check if any more Norfolk Hawkers are on the wing and I wouldn't mind a trip to Hothfield Common near Ashford to see the only Kent colony of Keeled Skimmer. Its been a while since my last visit. 

Scarce Chaser (immature male) 

Scarce Chaser (male)

8 comments:

  1. They are fantastic, I love the Blue tailed Damselflies, too much for me. And, the Scarce Chaser, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. Always nice to see and photograph the Scarce Chaser. Full of attitude.

      Delete
  2. They are positively furry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed. When you are close, they definitely are pretty Hairy. No doubt it serves a purpose.

      Delete
  3. Super images, Marc. Whilst I'm most envious of the Scarce Chasers, it's the Blue-tailed Damselfly image with the rufescens female that really grabs me.

    I'm in a bit of a quandary about the three Scarce Chasers I saw recently. I initially had them down as all females. Then, looking at the anal appendages, I reckoned that at least one of them was an immature male. Now, looking at your images, I'm in doubt again as, colouration wise, eyes (brown) and abdomen (orange) all are are identical. I'll prbably email you a couple of shots for your opinion if you don't mind.

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. By all means email me some photos. I'm sure we will be able to work them out.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful images Marc,outstanding detail.
    John.

    ReplyDelete