Wednesday 26 April 2017

The Lady in Waiting

Despite the return to cold weather this week, I was fortunate that when I checked the pond a few days ago in the evening, a female Hairy Dragonfly nymph was looking like she was going to emerge. Like most people, I have to wait until the weekends to get out to most of my photography and observing of dragonflies so any photography that can take place at home from the pond is a real bonus. Having photographed a few emergences this year already, I was going to let this one emerge without me watching and photographing but who can honestly turn down one of natures most magnificent sights so I decided to get set up with the camera and tripod and settled in for a few hours. Armed with the trusty flask of coffee, I was treated to another excellent emergence and managed to capture some pleasing photos of each stage. I imagine this might be the last set of photos of this species emerging from my pond although I'm still waiting for a male to emerge so I will hopefully encounter this species when I am out and about in the next few weeks, weather permitting. Hopefully May will deliver some lovely warm weather and ample opportunities with the camera. 










 'Emerging' Hairy Dragonfly (female)

Hairy Dragonfly (female) with Exuviae

4 comments:

  1. Brilliant photos Marc, I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your wonderful images are making me very impatient, Marc. You entitle this post 'the Lady in Waiting' - I'm a fella in waiting, with not a single sighting of any Odonata so far this year. I'm not likely to either while this continual wind, rain, snow and hail (with overnight frosts too) persists, as it has done for the past few days. Hopefully the weekend will see some improvement in the weather - and maybe a first sighting?

    Best wishes for your continuing observations - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose its been a bit warmer down here but other than my pond sessions, I can't get to out to check anywhere . your time will hopefully come soon in good numbers.

      Delete