Sunday 19 March 2017

Not Long To Wait Now

A check of my pond the last few nights have seen up to a dozen Large Red Damselfly nymphs resting just under the surface and all being well, they will hopefully emerge in the next few weeks. As I checked again last night in the dark with a torch, I could see one individual resting on some weed with the back of its head sticking out clearly allowing the spiracle openings to start the process of breathing from water to air. I went and got the camera and although not the best shots at all, it at least shows the nymph with its head above the surface and even walking about on the weed.


Large Red Damselfly Nymph

This will probably continue most nights now for a few weeks until they are ready to emerge. With this in mind, I have sectioned a part of my pond off and introduced a few sticks in plant pots that they can emerge from. The plan is that they start to emerge on my sticks but rather than lay over the pond at awkward angles trying to photograph them, I can remove the pot and stick and lay it on the grass next to the pond where I will be able to photograph them more comfortably. Today is also the first day that one of the Hairy Dragonfly nymphs I am rearing has spent most of the day just under the surface and occasionally has been sticking the back of its head above the surface line. Another sign that these are entering the last part of their lives as a nymph but I will endevour to monitor and take a few photos when the chance arises. Its always a long wait from the end of the season to the new one but within a few weeks, we will hopefully have our first species on the wing. Roll on the good times!


Large Red Damselfly Nymph

12 comments:

  1. Amazing activity, nearly there Marc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been quite a while since last season. Just a few weeks now and I will be a busy boy again.

      Delete
  2. Has any of this behaviour been documented Marc or are you finding this out yourself ? Either way brilliant to see. Fab work, as ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the behaviour is well documented but not many photos of it though so it's nice to be able to bring some to show others what happens.

      Delete
  3. Fascinating stuff Mark,hope all your hard work pays off.
    You must feel like an expecting Dad.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what it feels like. Hopefully I will be there when they deliver!!

      Delete
  4. Wow, amazing post with a very beautiful images!!! Can't wait for the next set of pictures. Great job:)
    Jessi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Jessi for your kind words, much appreciated.

      Delete
  5. Marc.
    Lovely read, and nice pics to match.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a great post; very interesting indeed. You have all the pride of an expectant father!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks David. It's starting to control most of my time at the weekends. Will all be worthwhile though if I can observe and photograph the emergence.

      Delete