Tuesday 28 February 2017

Her Time is Coming Soon!

With the season only a month or so away now, I have been regularly checking most nights a few of the Hairy Dragonfly nymphs I have been rearing in the pond and in the tanks to monitor the changes they are making as they enter their last few months as a nymph. I decided a few nights ago to photograph a female nymph measuring 38mm which will hopefully emerge this May all being well and as ever, I would love to be there to photograph the emergence. I also wanted to try out a few more techniques with the camera and see which background colour worked well with the subject. I spent a good 2 hours photographing and studying the nymph in the tank and as can be seen in the photos, there are a good number of signs that the nymph is starting to develop into the Hairy Dragonfly.



Hairy Dragonfly Nymph (female)

Other than the size, the wings buds are really starting to notice more and the veins can be seen well. The spiracles on the back of the head have widened in preparation for the process of breathing from water to air and the eyes continue to develop showing the shape of the dragonfly eyes more. In the next few weeks, I suspect that the colours of the dragonfly will slowly develop and the nymph will spend more of its time near the surface where in the evenings, it will start the process of breathing with the back of the head just above the water line.



Hairy Dragonfly (female)

These are the tell tale signs that it won't be long until it emerges. Its been absolutely fascinating watching, learning and photographing these superb nymphs during the winter months and with a bit of trial and error and patience, I think my efforts have paid off with this selection which I am really pleased with. The top photo in my opinion being as near as I am going to get to 'that' shot.  With March arriving tomorrow, it could be as little as 5 weeks until the first Large Red Damselflies emerge and the 2017 season really starts in earnest. I just hope its a great season for observations....... and my camera! Hopefully a few more photos to come soon.



Hairy Dragonfly Nymph (female)

6 comments:

  1. I have to wait a little longer here for the first Damsels marc, it will be mid April I suspect before they emerge.

    I hope you images are indeed of a Hairy Dragon nymph, would be fun if it turned out not to be ( would you tell us ?) LoL. I suspect your Dragon knowledge will spot on though mate :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed a Hairy Dragonfly nymph. The much smaller eyes on this hawker compared to the much larger eyes of the other Hawkers are quite obvious. Also the thin long torpedo shaped abdomen is quite diagnostic. Not long to wait now.

      Delete
  2. Fantastic images Marc, excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. Appreciate your kind words.

      Delete
  3. More excellent images, Marc. Thank you for the timely reminder that we've not got long to wait now. I shall be heading off to my local 'Hairy' location in May.

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. It will soon arrive. Fingers crossed for a good season and some nice weather.

      Delete