Wednesday 28 December 2016

Short eared Owls at Reculver

With a few Short eared Owls wintering at Reculver and with the prospect of sunny skies and light winds for this afternoon, I decided on a visit to see if I could see them and maybe, even a few photo opportunities. I was dropped off about 1pm in the sunshine where I walked along the back of the Oyster farm to where I hoped the Owls would be seen. As I scanned across the area, I could see 2 Short eared Owls having a tussle together before one gained height and was soon harassed by the local crows before it flew low behind a raised path and out of sight. Walking on I soon saw another one sitting out in the open on a post, the 3rd Short eared Owl. It was still only about 1.30pm and they seemed quite active so I found a small tree on the side of the raised path and settled in at the base with the sun behind me out of sight. I spent the next hour or so having superb views through the binoculars as they flew around for good periods of time and sometimes interacted with each other where you could hear them calling. On a few occasions they did fly by quite close and I was able to rattle off a number of pleasing efforts with the camera and luckily for me, the Short eared Owl flew straight at me at one point providing not only a lovely view but a chance to capture a head on shot showing off those superb yellow eyes. I have seen many Short eared Owls but it was just a pleasure to be in their company on a lovely winters afternoon watching and studying them at close range. Hopefully they will continue to hang around and maybe weather permitting, I might go back for another session with them. 






Short eared Owl

12 comments:

  1. Beauties Marc. Winter is made for these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bob. Just love afternoons like this when it all works out. A special time.

      Delete
  2. Fantastic photos Marc, everyone will appreciate that, flying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. Certainly my best photos of this species to date.

      Delete
  3. Special times indeed Marc. Brilliant detail in your images, not least the underwing in the last one. I'm taking bets you return soon.

    Kind Regards

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Pete. Certainly a treat indeed. Hopefully as you say, I will return.

      Delete
  4. Well caught Marc,brilliant face images,looks like it gave you a fly past.
    Happy New Year.
    John and Sue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your comments throughout the year. I wish you both a Happy New Year too.

      Delete
  5. I'm very envious of your wonderful shortie images, Marc. I've not managed to catch up with one yet this winter, which I find extremely frustrating as I had one for three months about three miles from my home last winter in a splendid area for photography.

    My very best to you for 2017. Summer is now on its way back! - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. Appreciate your comments which spur me on to succeed. Best wishes for 2017.

      Delete
  6. Fantastic captures of the SEO. I am realy a bit jalouse.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete