Tuesday 18 October 2016

The 'Autumn' Damselfly

With a few hours available over the weekend which coincided with some sunny weather, I made a visit to Nethergong where I wanted to check out whether the Willow Emerald Damselflies were still on the wing. After arriving, I made my way to the area concerned where on the way, I noted a few Common Darter flying and 2 Migrant Hawker. I started walking along the edge of the stream and checking the bare branches on the trees and I managed to see c10 Willow Emerald Damselflies. I expect that a good search of other areas would produce a few more but I was happy to just spend some time in the sun photographing this damselfly with some nice autumnal leaves.




Willow Emerald Damselfly (male)

Anyone following my stories of the Willow Emerald Damselfly would have read that recently, I found them ovipositing into stinging nettle stems, a potential UK first. I spent some more time over the weekend watching two pairs ovipositing into the nettle stems for up to 45 minutes and had excellent views through the binoculars. I did try for a few more photos which I will post in due coarse but as they are on the far side of the stream, getting detailed shots is quite a challenge but observing what I did, I now an at least convinced that they were indeed ovipositing into the stems and this could well be new behaviour observed. I have also just finished writing an article for 'Atropos' magazine on my observations and more good news came when I received my copy of 'The Journal of the British Dragonfly Society' which had used a number of my photos in the magazine of the Willow Emerald Damselfly as well as the front cover shot. Hopefully this species will continue to expand it range locally and nationally so that others can see see and appreciate this lovely damselfly.


Journal of the British Dragonfly Society

12 comments:

  1. Well done Marc,great to see your work in the B D Society,well deserved.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks John. Nice to have the odd bit published. A little reward for the hours put in.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations. Beautiful shots today too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Marc. Having followed your blog for some years i'm not surprised. It was only a question of time. As you mentioned you put in some considerable time & effort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great thing to be a part of your photography, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I told you before Marc, you are in the wrong job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Mike. It would be lovely to do more of this but it's a rather hard field to get into.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on your achievements, Marc. It's great to see you 'in print' again, and in the journal of the BDS to boot!!

    The set of images in this post are excellent. I particularly like the third image - the light is superb!

    Best wishes - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. Always nice to get something published so that others can 'hopefully' appreciate.

      Delete