Thursday 1 September 2016

Migrant Hawker Flight Challenge

Having walked a lot around Nethergong of late, you can't help but notice the good numbers of Migrant Hawkers that effortlessly glide around the paths and rides and put on a good display. I have spent quite a bit of time watching and photographing them perched but I always like the challenge of trying to capture a male in flight and this proved to be the case yesterday. Once they have matured, you can find them along the stream where they patrol up and down and regularly hover and this makes them one of the easiest hawkers to photograph in flight. I took a walk along the stream where I soon found a male flying up and down and after seeing his movements and where he often paused to hover, I moved into position for some photos. The only factor that worked against me was the slightly noisy background but he showed well for c15 minutes where I was able to grab a number of pleasing shots. As I continued up the stream, I encountered a few more Migrant Hawkers on territory and also a few Brown Hawkers which I briefly tried to photograph. If the Migrant Hawker is the easiest to photograph, the Brown Hawker in my opinion is the hardest of the hawkers to photograph and it was not surprising that I ended up with no shots and got frustrated by the whole episode. One day I will get a decent shot of one of these if I persevere i'm sure. Hopefully I will encounter a few more Migrant Hawkers in flight soon where I can really enjoy the challenge of capturing these in flight, I thoroughly recommend it.





Migrant Hawker (male)

12 comments:

  1. You accepted the challenge and most certainly won. Excellent series Marc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent flight captures Marc.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks John. A great challenge I find and always rewarding when you get some in focus.

      Delete
  3. You nailed it - big time!! Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. Just got to find a more friendly background for next time.

      Delete
  4. Wow !!! Beautiful pictures of the horse biter. Pretty sharp and bright and beautiful color. The details are beautiful to see. Great that you could photograph it in flying corridor.

    Greetings, Helma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marc.
    I am a bit late commenting on your blog, but i have got to say your dragonfly in flight shots are outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Ken for your kind words, appreciated.

      Delete
  6. Amazing photos of the Migrant Hawker. My compliments.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete