Saturday 27 August 2016

Reculver Rare Rush

I had only just go in last night with the family when I recieved a text from Matt Hindle alerting me that he had just found a Mega bird at Reculver, a Baird's Sandpiper. This is the first time this species has ever been seen at Reculver so within a few minutes of panic, I was in the car and driving down to Coldharbour. Thankfully it was only a few minutes drive and on arrival, I met up with Julian and Alex Perry and we walked on down to Coldharbour lagoon. It didn't take long due to our fast walking and with a few seconds of arrival, we were put on to the Baird's Sandpiper. I have only ever seen one of these in Kent and it was quite distant so it was nice to be able to sit on the seawall and take in the features of this rare bird. It was a little distant for the SLR camera but I took a few shots to record the occasion.



Baird's Sandpiper

If the Baird's wasn't enough, there was an excellent back up of waders present here including 1 Black tailed Godwit, a scarce bird at Reculver, 1 Little Stint, 1 Curlew Sandpiper, 1 Greenshank, 1 Green Sandpiper, 5 Dunlin and 1 Redshank. An excellent visit and the Baird's Sandpiper takes my Reculver list to 243 species. I think its also giving me the birding bug back again so I think a few more visits will happen at Reculver in the next few weeks and months. 


Black tailed Godwit

8 comments:

  1. Great stuff - not seen my first one yet - this is what keeps keeps us all buzzing....WOW.

    Have a nice weekend Marc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete. It certainly brought back that adrenalin rush we get when something rare turns up.

      Delete
  2. Lovely shots Marc,great ticks.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. Always too far for the camera but what a bird to get at Reculver.

      Delete
  3. Super captures, Marc. I'm afraid I wouldn't recognise a Baird's Sandpiper if I fell over one! I'd have almost certainly ID'd it as a more common species. Makes me realise how little I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likewise Richard. I knew it was something else but if on my own, like you, I may have struggled. Cracking little birds though and a good bird to learn the features from.

      Delete
  4. It's good to have variety Marc. It will all too soon be past the butterfly and dragonfly season so we will have to get the birding going anyway!! I saw the Dungeness bird a few years ago. It was much more distant than this one too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bob. Yep, I had better get back into some birding soon before I forget what they look like!!

      Delete