Thursday 9 June 2016

More from Whixall Moss

Its been a few days now since my visit to the superb reserve at Whixall Moss in Shropshire to see the White faced Darter and with hundreds of photos taken, I am slowly making my way through them to pick out a few to publish. Having now read about them quite a bit and looked at many photos of them, I can now fully understand why I wanted to go and see this dragonfly, the black and red colouring on this dragonfly stand out really well and make this in my opinion, a striking dragonfly to see and photograph. I have yet to photograph the few exuviae of this species that I brought back with me but I am just excited about this project as I was about seeing the dragonfly, well nearly I suppose! To have such an exuviae of this rare dragonfly is a real treat and only again looking at a map of the British Isles, does it make me realise how lucky I was to see this little stunner. It may be a few years now until I venture up there again to see this dragonfly but its certainly left me with a lifetime of memories to think about and photos to look at. I hope you get just as much out of looking at the photos as I did in taking them, a truly stunning little dragonfly. 


White faced Darter (male) 

White faced Darter (female) 




White faced Darter (male)

White faced Darter exuviae

10 comments:

  1. I'm well envious of these shots Marc, maybe one day i'll get to photograph this species. Do they occur in Wales? I'm off there on the 18th. I'll have to check for myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Warren. They are little gems aren't they? I don't believe they are in Wales but on the border of England/Wales. Look for Whixall in Shropshire. If your'e going to Wales and so close, I would recommend a visit.

      Delete
  2. Beaut, you shot those with enthusiasm, perfect images Marc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Their colouring is most appealing and really photogenic, Marc. Lovely series of images. Enjoy that exuviae!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Lucy, their colour being unique in british dragonflies. Plenty of photos to come of some exuviae. I find them fascinating.

      Delete
  4. Brilliant captures Marc,remember seeing these in Scotland,which for us was the first time,and you've just brought back fond memories.
    A delight to see.
    John and Sue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks John. Ashame they are so far for me to travel too. Would love another visit to see them again. Maybe next year.

      Delete
  5. More wonderful images, Marc! This is a fabulous dragonfly that it would be impossible to see too much of. I'm hoping to get back to Whixall again this year before their season finishes.

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. Seing your photos really spurred me on.

      Delete