With some pleasant sunshine at times this morning but the temperatures remaining quite cold, I decided as I had an hour or so to myself to take a few photos of one of the Large Red Damselflies at the pond. Knowing it wasn't going to fly anywhere, I was able to remove the stem it was on and insert onto some plasticine and give myself a nice clean background of the grass. For most of the winter months I have been using the in camera flash and today was no exception. Although it was quite bright, my efforts using AV mode, f8, ISO 400 did not work out to plan and I ended up with some dark, cold efforts. It was back to manual mode, f8-11, ISO 400 and speed set to 250 and with the added flash, I ended up with the desired detailed shots. I'm hoping with the better lighting soon that I can revert back to the trusty AV mode to provide most of my shots. I think it will take a while to back back into the swing of things as far as settings and field craft go but its all part of the learning curve to success.
Large Red Damselfly (male)