Sunday 7 February 2016

The Banded Demoiselle Nymph

I decided on Saturday morning to make a visit to Nethergong to see if I could find any dragonfly or damselfly nymphs but in particular, I was after one species that I had only encountered once last year, the Banded Demoiselle nymph. Netherong is bordered by a small slow flowing stream and last year I saw a number of Banded Demoiselles flying up and down so I know this species occurs here. The stream was thankfully quite low and clear so I could see where the build up of weeds were where I hoped my quarry would be hiding. I had a few initial dips with the net which proved fruitless and so opted for a method I had seen a someone do last year on a river survey where they disturbed the weed and mud and then placed the net downstream to catch whatever had been dislodged. On my second attempt at this, I looked in the net and was pleased to see a small Banded Demoiselle nymph, the stick insect profile being east to recognise. A few more dips in likely areas produced one more nymph, this time a nice sized one of about 30mm long. I returned home where I had the tank already in position and after adding weed from the stream, I spent an hour taking a number of photos of these generally unseen nymphs. Settings used were manual mode and manual focus, ISO 400, speed set to 250, f8 -f11.




Banded Demoiselle Nymph

 Like the adults, the legs are long and they have a horn like antennae which is diagnostic to this species. Like a lot of the nymphs I photograph, its always nice to take some time to just sit back and watch them in the tank and learn some of the identification features I read about in the books. With a number of photos obtained, it was back in the car and down to the stream where I released them back where I had found them a few hours earlier.



Banded Demoiselle Nymph Caudal Lamellae  

Banded Demoiselle Nymph

Hopefully in a few months time, they will emerge as the stunning Banded Demoiselle and I will spend some time watching and photographing them at the stream. On a more negative note, I often visit a site near Reculver which has been put up for sale at the price of £425,000. This includes quite a bit of land and some wetland where I do my watching and photography. I can only hope that whoever buys it keeps the wetland and fingers crossed, allows me permission to still visit this site which has an excellent variety of odonata species on site, some of which are locally and nationally scarce and rare. I shall keep you posted as and when I have anymore information.





Banded Demoiselle Nymph


14 comments:

  1. As usual stunning images,one of my favourites.
    If i every have the good luck to stumble across a Nymph,I will remember I.D looks like a Stick insect.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks John. They are stunning little insects and I think, one of our best looking damselflies. That flashing wing pattern is a lovely sugn of summer.

      Delete
  2. Incredible clarity on those images Marc, one of the more distinctive Nymphs by the looks of it.

    Let's hope that land doesn't go for housing :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope not too. Its right on the side of the Thanet Way motorway so i would hope not houses as they wouldn't get much sleep I doubt. Hopefully it can be kept as its such a good place for a lot of wildlife.

      Delete
  3. Stunning pictures! A fierce-looking nymph.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a stunning insect in these early stages as well as the adult. Brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. Certainly does tirn into a stunner. Bit of an ugly duckling at the moment!!

      Delete
  5. Great Marc, I love the Banded Demoiselle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. Certainly a stunner as an adult.

      Delete