Monday 7 September 2015

Weekend Willows

As mentioned in yesterdays post, I spent some time looking for Willow Emerald Damselflies and managed to find 7 in a brief search along a sunny sheltered ride. Thankfully, unlike many of the Willow Emerald Damselflies I have encountered this year, they were away from water and I was able to spend some time getting a number of photos of them. I'm sure there were many others high up in the trees but it was nice to be able to photograph them with relatively clean and clear backgrounds. Although you can get quite close to this species, I find them quite tricky at times to photograph as they have a long abdomen and this proves a challenge to get in focus along with the rest of the body. Nonetheless, I persevered and ended up with a number of pleasing images. With a number of species now ended or ending soon, the Willow Emerald Damselfly still has a good time left so I would imagine I will be back out soon looking for them and trying to improve on any photo opportunities that should come my way.




 Willow Emerald Damselfly (male)





Willow Emerald Damselfly (female)

6 comments:

  1. Great set Marc, I like the shot with the rose hip best ;-) These images will be good to look back at over the winter months, giving inspiration for the coming summer :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Warren. The season is slowly closing in now and plenty to look back on and hopefully find ways and techniques to improve upon.

      Delete
  2. Truly superb Marc, maybe one day I would get a shot that good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stewart. Trust me, you only see the ok ones. There are plenty of duff ones taken too.

      Delete
  3. I'm with Warren. The color of the rose hips really brings out the burnished tones on the thorax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wilma, makes for a nice photo I think and as you say, adds a spark of colour to the photo.

      Delete