Wednesday 2 September 2015

Highlight of the Holidays

Well its back to teaching tomorrow but having had a nice few weeks off, I thought I would look back at my highlight of the summer holidays as far as seeing and photographing dragonflies. Ironically, the highlight come in the first week off when news broke at Wat Tyler Country Park in Essex that the rare Southern Migrant Hawker dragonfly was on the wing. I have spent quite a bit of time over the past few years looking at photos of this species on the internet and hoped one day, I would be able to see one and if I was lucky, maybe obtain a photo or two. Little did I know that on the 31st July, I was going to be be treated not only to great views of this dragonfly but also time to study and capture some photos of this striking species. Hopefully they will slowly spread in the UK in the next few years but whether I will ever get a better opportunity to see and photograph them remains to be seen. What I do know is that I too, now have a very pleasing set of images of this stunning dragonfly.



Southern Migrant Hawker (male)

14 comments:

  1. With a teacher in the family as well, I can sympathise with the approach of "back to school"! Good luck. What a finale of images to end your holiday with, Marc. I particularly love the first shot, where the background vegetation has created that beautiful rainbow bokeh. Super set!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy. I must admit, I too really like the background. Makes the shot for me.

      Delete
  2. Intricate, beautiful creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice Marc,
    A tad better than the views we had at Thursley :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't get these at Thursley. A rare dragonfly but fingers crossed they may continue to hold their own in the UK.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. Think the top shot is one of my faves this year.

      Delete
  5. Brilliant, I don't suppose you teach photography Marc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No unfortunately not, I teach PE but would love a job in wildlife photography.

      Delete
  6. Marc.
    You must have thought that all your christmas' had come at once. There cracking photo's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ken. I certainly made the most of the moment. Might not get a chance like this again for a few years.

      Delete
  7. Three fabulous images of this raredragonfly Marc, that first image is truly outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Nigel. A cracker of a dragonfly and pleased looking back I managed these images.

      Delete