Wednesday 5 August 2015

Most Welcome 'Migrants'

As mentioned in yesterdays post, I spent an hour or so at a site near Reculver where I spent some time checking the sunlit bushes and hedges for any resting Migrant Hawkers. I always associate the beginning of Autumn when this species is on the wing and in some years, good numbers can congregate in small areas providing excellent views and photographic opportunities. I checked this area last year and it proved to be productive so I was confident some would be there. After a brief check, one took flight from low down and it flew around briefly but always seemed like it wanted to land again. It wasn't long until it landed again and I was able to creep up to it and take a few shots. Whilst I was here, I started to get my eye in and soon realised that there were a few more Migrant Hawkers hanging up waiting for the temperature to warm up. I spent the next hour having a good study of them through the binoculars and right up close with the macro lens which produced some nice detailed images. Hopefully their numbers will build up from now on and I will be able to photograph some males when they mature up and try again for some flight shots as they do like to hover. I managed a few nice images last year of them in flight but as ever, I will be looking to improve on them if at all possible this year.






Migrant Hawker (Immature male)

6 comments:

  1. Very nice Marc :-) I've had a few glimpses of Migrant Hawkers ( or Mixtas as I call them, after their latin name!) over the past few days, but no image yet. II did fill my boots with Southern Hawkers images again today though, a nice female this time :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure their numbers will build up and you will get your chance with them. You seem to be doing well with the other Hawkers.

      Delete
  2. Well done Marc, nice to see the fruit is starting to ripen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Derek. Hopefully they will have a good season, both the fruits and the dragonflies.

      Delete
  3. Beauties!! Great images Marc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. Good to get them before they warm up for the day, then you can get nice and close.

      Delete