Saturday 11 July 2015

Some Great Finds in the Reeds!

With some nice sun forecast for this morning and 3 hours available to go out, I drove over to Marshside at 9.30am where the Willow Emerald Damselflies were seen earlier in the week. I had plenty of time this morning to check out the hedges and reeds along the dykes and really hoped that I could maybe find a Willow Emerald Damselfly exuviae. I don't know how many have actually been seen in this country but a look on the internet and reading books suggested that not many have been found and probably less photographed. With this in mind I spent quite a bit of time checking the waters edge and it wasn't very long until I started to see the first of 38 Willow Emerald Damselfly starting to climb up the reeds and fly across the road to the higher hedges. I checked out an an area where I saw one fly up and was very pleased to see a Willow Emerald Damselfly still clinging onto its exuviae. Stunning stuff and what a find. I spent the next few hours checking the edges and managed to find 8 Willow Emerald Damselfly exuviae and even one which I was able to photograph as it still held onto the exuviae.



'Teneral' Willow Emerald Damselfly (male) & Exuviae

I wonder how many of these shots have been photographed in the UK? I took a few more shots of a teneral male which posed nicely but really look forward to photographing some of the exuviae which I brought home. Again, I don't think too many of these have been photographed but I will look forward to capturing the finer details tomorrow if I can get an hour to take a few shots. I also noted 1 Ruddy Darter today and 4 Small Red eyed Damselfly along with a few Blue tailed Damselflies. A cracking session with a good number found. Hopefully this number can easily double in the next few weeks.

 'Teneral' Willow Emerald Damselfly (female)

'Teneral' Willow Emerald Damselfly (male)

5 comments:

  1. The rate they are emerging Marc, they wont be national rarities for long :-)
    Some amazing captures today mate, keep 'em coming, your sightings and photographs keep me enthused :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Warren. I was more chuffed to find the exuviae than the adults actually today, something I have never seen myself so nice to actually find them.

      Delete
  2. So amzing these photos of these special Damselflies.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roos. Really chuffed to find a newly emerged one with exuviae.

      Delete
  3. Timing is everything, eh? Great images!

    ReplyDelete