Saturday 13 September 2014

Hunting Hawkers!

I have not really managed to get out at all this week due to work but a session this morning at Reculver with Chidders was not as productive as we hoped for. In 3 hours of walking the cliffs, checking bushes and looking out to sea, we barely had many birds at all. Best we could manage were 3 Whinchat, 3 Wheatear, 6 Kestrel, 3 Common Buzzard, 1 Common Sandpiper, 3 Little Egret and a few waders. With this in mind about 10am and back to the car I popped in to a site at Reculver where I had 30 minutes looking for dragonflies. The sun was trying its best to come out but there were still good numbers of Migrant Hawker flying along with a few Common Blue Damselfly and Common Darter. During last weekend I took a good number of shots of the Migrant Hawkers along with 1 Southern and 1 Brown Hawker, the latter being a scarce species for Reculver. It was also nice to see a few Emperor Dragonfly at a site nearby, one male in particularly good condition which I photographed as it rested eating a bee. I shall post these in due course. Hopefully out in the morning somewhere, lets hope a few migrants can be found including a few scarce or rare ones, preferably near where I am looking!

Mating Migrant Hawkers 

Male Migrant Hawker

Male Migrant Hawker having a 'Poop'


Male Southern Hawker

Male Brown Hawker

2 comments:

  1. Glorious Brown Hawker macro Marc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning macro work :) I love getting close to Odes like these.

    ReplyDelete