Friday 26 September 2014

Early Snow at Reculver!

With an early Snow Bunting being found yesterday at Reculver I thought I would have a walk along the seawall this afternoon to see if it was still around. Although quite cloudy, there were occasional glimpses of the sun but not a lot. I walked to the area if had been seen yesterday and started scanning the shingle ridge where they often like to walk along and feed. After a while I picked out the familiar shape of a Snow Bunting creeping along the shingle in between the few plants there are on the beach. Initially as I approached the Bunting flew down on to one of the wooden groynes where it had a preen and wing stretch. Not the best shot and a little too far away but it provided me with the first shot of this little beauty.

Snow Bunting

It soon returned back to the ridge where it started walking along it towards me. I moved ahead of it and sat down against the seawall and not long after it walked past me and stopped to feed in front of me about 3 metres away. It seemed wary of the passing cyclists but once they had gone by, it settled down to feed and showed very well where quite naturally I took advantage and fired off a few shots.




Snow Bunting

With enough shots taken to keep me happy and the Snow Bunting carrying on his walk along the ridge I moved off and wandered back to the car. Not much seen on the way back except 1 Kestrel, 2 Ringed Plover, 1 Grey Wagtail, 2 Wheatear, 2 Stonechat, 1 Chiffchaff and a few Swallows flying through. A brief but certainly eventful session and always a good day when you see a cracking Snow Bunting on the patch.



Snow Bunting

5 comments:

  1. Smart little birds indeed Marc,
    What a good way to spend an hour or so........waiting for a Snow Bunting to walk past :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, they are often very obliging and a photographers friend.

      Delete
  2. Marc.
    What lovely pics of the Snow Bunting, could it be one of the first to arrive?

    ReplyDelete