Monday 4 August 2014

What The Eyes Can't See!

I left home quite early this morning at 5.45am and drove down to Reculver where upon arrival the sun had just appeared from around the towers and provided me with my first chance of a photo for the day. As I was too close for any of my lenses I took a few shots on my Samsung Galaxy S4 and was very surprised with the results.

Reculver Towers at Dawn

I then took a stroll down the seawall and inland to Chambers Wall car park before checking the bushes along the embankment and returned the way I had come. A few birds were seen including 3 Little Owl, 2 Green Woodpecker, 1 Grey Heron, c30 Yellow Wagtail along the seawall, 3 Little Egret, 5 Swallow, 2 Shelduck, 5 Oystercatcher, 5 Redshank, 11 Sedge Warbler and 15 Reed Warbler. There were 7 Reed Bunting, 3 Ringed Plover, c15 Turnstone, 5 Skylark, 2 Dunlin, 1 Common Sandpiper, 5 Whitethroat, 1 Turtle Dove and 1 Kingfisher and 2 adult Mediterranean Gull on the beach with Black headed Gulls. At Coldharbour I saw 3 Clouded Yellow butterfly and whilst watching one of these I noticed a Small Red eyed Damselfly at rest in the sunshine. Its not that often you get a chance to photograph these away from the water so I took the opportunity and fired off a few shots. With the naked eye about a metre away not that much detail can be seen at all but with the aid of the Sigma 150mm macro lens I was able to get a number of images showing some of the finer details of these superb little damselflies.





Small Red eyed Damselfly

I also saw c5 Migrant Hawkers with most quite high up at rest but I did take a few shots with the 300mm lens with the 1.4 converter on, not ideal with the converter on but it didn't turn out too bad.

Male Migrant Hawker

I'm sure I will be able to improve upon this with the macro in the next few weeks, weather permitting!

2 comments:

  1. Good to see a few birds moving about Marc. Those Small Red Eyed Damsels look very smart, great images. I hope to find a Migrant Hawker to photograph soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really beautiful details of this dragonfly and damselfly.
    Beautiful color, sharp, bright and great details.
    Very nice to see.

    Greeting, helma

    ReplyDelete